Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Jeff Holko
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 2.3T

Throttle Body

My 2005 9-5 arc 2.3 needs a new throttle body. The dealership said that it was the sensors but it is necessary to get the whole thing because it's all one part. With this whole bankruptcy thing there are now 141 back ordered requests. Awesome! So my question is- Are there any new throttle body's out there? Can I use an after market ac delco one instead? Any ideas, inputs, or concerns would be greatly appreciated because I'm now without a car for an unknown amount of time as well as at the end of my rope with this brand I used to love and stick up for.

Thanks, Jeff

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3t Wagon HO Manual
    Don't know if this will help with an '05 Arc, but most people get a rebuilt throttle body from BBA Reman. Here's an ebay link: throttle body saab bba | eBay

They have two services, with one, you swap your defective throttle body for a rebuilt version .....option 2, you send in your throttle body and have it rebuilt. BBA Reman has a pretty good reputation.
    Hopefully they cover '05 Arc's.
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    Sport Wagon 2.3T HO Manual
    140,627 Miles

Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch
    The '04+ throttle body is slightly different from the '03 and older cars, but I don't see why BBA couldn't do a rebuild/exchange on it. Generally when the throttle body fails you get a check engine code 'Throttle Position Sensor 1 and 2. Sum out of range.' or some variation thereof, the punchline is the TPSs are built into the throttle body which is why the dealer is telling you that it needs replacement.
    2011 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch "Wolffe"

Jeff Holko
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 2.3T
    Thanks for the input guys. Do you think the BBA is the best route I should pursue? Any idea when back orders will begin to come thru? I feel like I am in a difficult position at the moment. I talked with a local junk yard and they said they could find the part and have it shipped for $250. Is this a common problem that others have had as well?----And if the senors are the problem is the only way to fix the problem buy getting the whole throttle body?

Another problem I have is the part number for that specific throttle body on a 2005 9-5 arc 2.3t. I emailed BBA but they requested a part number and with my car at the dealership I have no idea and can't find it online. Your help is great appreciated.

Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch
    Back orders are being filled on a sort of necessity basis. If a dealer has a car down, they can push through an order to Saab so they know it needs to be prioritized over say a dealer who just is ordering one to have on hand. Generally from what I've seen/heard the turnaround time on back orders is a month or so.

On the older '99-'03 model years, this is a more common fault in both the 9-3s and 9-5s but I have also replaced a handful on '04+ 9-5s. A junkyard t/b is an alternative to waiting on a new one from Saab or a reman'd unit from BBA. Again the sensors are an internal part of the electronic throttle body, and not something that is serviceable by the dealer which why it is necessary to replace the whole thing.
    2011 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch "Wolffe"