Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 Arc

My 9-3 project (Audio questions)

Hey guys, first post here at Saab world, I've been lurking through the forums and all the information has been great, I've been working really hard on this car to get it where I want it to be but I've hit a wall with the audio upgrade.

I currently have 2 alpine type R's 12's in the trunk of my 04 9-3 arc and I need to balance the sound big time. I ordered 6.5" and 6x9's Infinity's which I will be installing today, I will be replacing all of the 3.5" next week and want to run a new amp in the future.

My firsts question; From what I understand amp 2 produces 150w or 2x75w, but at how many ohms? I purchased thisset of Infinity 6x9 9632cf speakers which run at 100 watt rms at 2 ohms (Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 9632cf 6x9-Inch, 300-Watt High Performance Two-Way Loudspeaker (Pair): Car Electronics) but if amp2 is at 4 ohms I'm not sure how much power I'll get out of them.

Next, the amp I want to run to the speakers is a 4 channel 600w rms hifnonics amp (WoofersEtc.com - ZRX600.4 - Hifonics ZEUS Series 4 Ch 600W Amplifier) but I'm unsure as the best way to do that. I know you can add a line in and simply hook it up but I need a little more info to clear everything up

Finally, I already have a 1600w Hifonics brutus amp and 2 farad capacitor for the subwoofers, and I'm wondering if the alternator is even going to be able to keep with with around 2200w of amps connected. Will I need to upgrade the alternator, battery, or get a bigger cap?

Any help on the best way to configure this whole set up and make it sound better would be greatly appreciated. I'll post pictures when all the installs are done.

Work done so far:
    8000k Hid low beams
    Yellow Fog Vinyl
    Removed and repainted all worn plastic trim with plasti-dip
    Green Led kit underneath all seats
    Carbon fiber vinyl over all wood trim (looks surprisingly good)
    Euro plate
    Red calipers

To be done:
    LED interior lights
    HID High/fogs
    Repaint wheels gun metal
    Amp/speaker install

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Welcome to SAAB World! Hopefully some with more sound system experience chimes in. I am the guy who's usually content with a nice factory stereo, the kind of guy who only buys new speakers when the stock one blow up... ha!

Pictures of your SAAB will be highly appreciated. Seems like you have a nice project car already, let's see it!
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 Arc
    This is the only picture I have here at work, but I'll take more when I get home.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 Arc
    Update:

Well I could really use some help, going to call the saab store tomorrow if I don't get anything conclusive here. Hooked up the 6x9's and I get almost no sound what so ever.

I tried reversing the wires to get something and I'm still not getting any sounds, plugged the old speakers in... no sound. So either the rear amp is blown which makes no sense, or a fuse or something is.

Any help at all would be extremely appreciated, I really don't want to put it in the shop and spend $100's on a simple speaker install.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Is there any way you can swap another amp in place to see if the one in your car is indeed bad?

Also, with the fog light film, how yellow does it project? Does it filter out to white? I have some yellow Lamin-X but haven't installed it yet. I am keeping it for my Bosch foglights for the C900.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 Arc
    I don't have another amp, but I'm going to check all of the fuses for amp 2.

The yellow vinyl came out surprisingly well, it doesn't look so great in the picture but they look awesome in person. It filters the white light out and took only about 10 minutes to install. I got it for like $10 off amazon, I think it was metro restyling film, I definitely recommend it.