Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 Saab 95 SE, 2003 Saab Aero

Question Help replacing 2003 9-5 Aero a/c condenser??

I have ordered a condenser for my 2003 9-5 Aero...figured out that's where my leak is. Now I need instructions. I have been searching for a diy all afternoon w/o success. Can any of you fabulous Saab owners help me? Thanks

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Aero auto.
    I had mine replaced a couple years ago. Luckily, they were able to drop the bad one from "below." Here is the kicker: The factory units have a curve to them. Aftermarket ones ( Behr from Eeuroparts) are square. They will not mount properly into the brackets to secure unless it is bent purposely. The mechanic
    that did mine was lucky enough to match the shape using archaic methods. I spent 300.00 on that thing, and prayed it would work. Cost for labor was 260.00.
    I heard that Behr(German) makes good condensers, but then again they could be made by a factory in China. If yours isn't curved when you get it, you are going to want someone else to do it. I'm pretty sure no one makes a condenser w/the same curve the Saab employs.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndpMind View Post
    I had mine replaced a couple years ago. Luckily, they were able to drop the bad one from "below." Here is the kicker: The factory units have a curve to them. Aftermarket ones ( Behr from Eeuroparts) are square. They will not mount properly into the brackets to secure unless it is bent purposely. The mechanic
    that did mine was lucky enough to match the shape using archaic methods. I spent 300.00 on that thing, and prayed it would work. Cost for labor was 260.00.
    I heard that Behr(German) makes good condensers, but then again they could be made by a factory in China. If yours isn't curved when you get it, you are going to want someone else to do it. I'm pretty sure no one makes a condenser w/the same curve the Saab employs.
    Thank you. I actually am getting one used from a place I have bought a few other Saab items from. It is only $50. It comes with a 6 month warranty...fingers crossed. (The Euro mechanic quoted $950 parts and labor.) I am hoping for a video tutorial. I have instructions with drawings but they aren't real easy to understand. I may just see if I can someone to do the labor.
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune and glad you got it resolved! I struggle with letting anyone else touch my car...

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Aero auto.
    Well my condenser was actually fine........my brother used the dryer line on the drivers side as a tow hook when he got it stuck in a snow drift in farm country.
    Never drive on a north/south road when the night before, a 6 in. dumping w/a 20mph west wind is taking place. Little did he know Saabs don't have tow
    hooks in the front. And if they did, they would be in the center, not on the drivers side. My mechanic made the new one look like the old one.....couldn't tell
    it was modified, and it is working fine. 950? Thats a rip big time. There shouldn't be any parts other than the a/c recharge, and he/she should be able to drop it from
    below on a lift.......time saver. I waited 3 hours for mine. Your bad one does not need to be removed from the top. That may be what the book calls for, but it
    can be done from below.
    I'm like you.......if I can do it myself I will. I fear sabotage will occur at times. This though was too involving for me.
    Last edited by IndpMind; 08 July 2012 at 01:56.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndpMind View Post
    Well my condenser was actually fine........my brother used the dryer line on the drivers side as a tow hook when he got it stuck in a snow drift in farm country.
    Never drive on a north/south road when the night before, a 6 in. dumping w/a 20mph west wind is taking place. Little did he know Saabs don't have tow
    hooks in the front. And if they did, they would be in the center, not on the drivers side. My mechanic made the new one look like the old one.....couldn't tell
    it was modified, and it is working fine. 950? Thats a rip big time. There shouldn't be any parts other than the a/c recharge, and he/she should be able to drop it from
    below on a lift.......time saver. I waited 3 hours for mine. Your bad one does not need to be removed from the top. That may be what the book calls for, but it
    can be done from below.
    I'm like you.......if I can do it myself I will. I fear sabotage will occur at times. This though was too involving for me.
    Oh no! I'll bet your brother felt awful! Snow sounds really good right now though!
    My instructions look like they are for the 9-5 SE and I need them to be for the 9-5 Aero. So, (when my part arrives) I am going to take it to a local guy who is supposed to be good and honest...think he'll let me watch?
    We are fairly new to this area and have had some very bad experiences with the sabotage you refer to. I miss my old mechanic!

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Aero auto.
    Your main objective is to tell them to drop the old condenser from below. I paid between 250-290.00 labor for mine. The attempt to do it from above will increase the cost/time. He may not want to even attempt to do it from above anyway. Fittings and the like will have to be done both from top and bottom, but removing it physically from the car should be done while he is standing under the engine. Ok.........190.00 labor, 50.00 for evacuating and recharging the a/c. 75.00 per hour labor.........2.5 hour job. Your mechanic may be higher per hour, but the time should be the same.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    I got it done for $326 by indy. Paid $50 for a used condenser from Nationwide auto salvage. Works great! Thank you for help and suggestions!!