Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Aero auto.

Strut/damper/spring kit

What do you guys think of this setup for my car? I'm not too concerned w/the brand unless it's Bilstein or Koni. The FSDs' I know are a favorite, but obviously more dough w/a lowering kit thrown in. This seems like a reasonable package price not including shipping costs........which will be high I know. If I can find this here, the better.....maybe cheaper.
    I hear some get struts and keep their original springs. How long can you go before you need to replace springs then? I figure maybe do it all at once
    and be done w/it unless I go 200K in this thing. I know the Aero has a lowered ride height already, so I'm in the middle on how much a 30MM drop would be overall in terms of ride, etc. etc. http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product...oducts_id=4409

Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch
    Its a matter of personal preference, do you like the ride height/handling of your car as it is now? Also how many miles on it? If you get the sport/lowering kit, I think you'll find the ride to be harsher but the trade-off is that handling will improve. If it were me, I'd go with the FSDs/stock Aero springs. I've done this set-up on a number of customers cars and have gotten lots of good feedback, sure the price is high, but in the end I think its worth it if you drive the car a lot/plan on keeping it. My rear shocks on the wagon are just about toast after 80k, so I'm plan to install this set-up in the next couple of weeks.
    2011 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch "Wolffe"

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 Arc, 1999 9-5 V6 ( Sold )
    I installed FSD's on my 9-5 Arc year or so ago. absolutely love them. I kept stock springs as I like the ride height as it is. I ordered my FSD's directly from Koni as they had 20% off deal with free shipping at that time.

Saab(s)
    2005 93SS Aero; 2007 95lpt
    Just put in Bilstein B6 onto my '07 95 with stock spring, excellent feel, stable ride. Full confidence taking "fast" cornering. Should have fixed that long time ago.

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Aero auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysSaab View Post
    Just put in Bilstein B6 onto my '07 95 with stock spring, excellent feel, stable ride. Full confidence taking "fast" cornering. Should have fixed that long time ago.

Where did you purchase them from? I'm not finding them sold in sets and it seems most sites offer them for the front only.

Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch
    As a follow-up, I decided to stick with OEM suspension parts rather than Koni FSDs and ordered one of the accessory wagon auto-leveling kits for cars with sport suspension. I'll post pics of the install/feedback next week. I highly recommend checking out Saab.com and the USA sub-site for the warehouse clean out sale. I got a fantastic deal on what ended up being the last auto level kit but they also had complete Aero suspension kits (springs, shocks, struts, sway bars) for $399. The kit used to retail for over $900... might be a worthwhile purchase for someone.
    2011 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch "Wolffe"

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lauzze View Post
    I highly recommend checking out Saab.com and the USA sub-site for the warehouse clean out sale. I got a fantastic deal on what ended up being the last auto level kit but they also had complete Aero suspension kits (springs, shocks, struts, sway bars) for $399. The kit used to retail for over $900... might be a worthwhile purchase for someone.
    Thanks for sharing, I hadn't seen that before. Information added here: http://saabworld.net/f145/saab-parts...el-sale-26669/

Or on the Saab website: Saab Automobile Parts AB - Saab Automobile Parts AB

Personally, I'm more interested in an stiffer rear swaybar just to give the car a more neutral feel, as opposed to its natural understeer-y nature.

The stock suspension in the Aero just seems so wonderfully balanced as it is, I'd hate to mess with it.

Saab(s)
    2005 93SS Aero; 2007 95lpt
    Quote Originally Posted by IndpMind View Post
    Where did you purchase them from? I'm not finding them sold in sets and it seems most sites offer them for the front only.
    Hi IndpMind,

I am not sure in N Indiana, but I got them from a Bilstein agent where I stayed (Singapore) just informing them of the Saab model and year of manufacture. I checked Bilstein website and confirmed that the parts given to me were correct before I got them installed. Worth every cent.

Christopher
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Aero Wagon
    I installed the Koni Sport package from GenuineSaab.com this past weekend and I love it. I didn't have any major issues, but I could not have done the job without an impact driver as the nuts on the rear shocks were stuck pretty good.
    Name:  IMG_2554.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  45.6 KB

I did have to open up the ID with a reamer on one set of the bushing cups because one side was smaller than the other...odd.
    Name:  IMG_2564.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  49.7 KB

Here is the difference between the stock front spring and the new sport spring.
    Name:  IMG_2563.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  42.6 KB

I adjusted the dampers to their maximum and the ride is quite a bit stiffer, but I like it. Here is the front left assembly installed.
    Name:  IMG_2561.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  34.3 KB

Here is the finished product. I little lower and a lot more fun to drive. I also took the opportunity to plasti-dip my wheels and I really like the overall result.
    Name:  IMG_2584.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  34.8 KB

Cheers