Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Paul K.
    Saab(s)
    1990 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible

"Red Box" - NOT the DVD thing...

I'm a Noob so I need some assistance understanding what an APC "Red Box" is. Is it a big deal? Is it something to look for? Is it something that should be done? Is it expensive to obtain and costly to install? Is it at all worth it?

Elsa's previous owner stated he had one in a different car, and was able to reach quite high top speeds; he was an older guy and liked SAABs, so I'm figuring he wasn't likely blowing smoke.

I'd love to hear what people think.

Thanks.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    The APC Red Box is basically an ECU reflash for more power, much like you would buy from a tuner. It's just that the factory painted them red and they were a factory part. It basically allows for higher boost levels, hence more power, to be reached.

I believe the genuine SAAB Red Boxes are quite rare and coveted items, hence expensive. I don't know how much you would pay for one. Some companies like Swedish Dynamics sell their own reflashed ECUs that supposedly allow for even higher power than the factory Red Box: Red Series APC
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    Quote Originally Posted by rpiereck View Post
    The APC Red Box is basically an ECU reflash for more power, much like you would buy from a tuner. It's just that the factory painted them red and they were a factory part. It basically allows for higher boost levels, hence more power, to be reached.

I believe the genuine SAAB Red Boxes are quite rare and coveted items, hence expensive. I don't know how much you would pay for one. Some companies like Swedish Dynamics sell their own reflashed ECUs that supposedly allow for even higher power than the factory Red Box: Red Series APC
    No it's not an ECU reflash. There is no software involved and the box is moulded red, not just painted. They are not that rare, and you can modify a black box to red box power and more by a few component tweaks. List of APC boxes and modification details here; 900aero.com APC mod
    I see them occasionally on Ebay for around £70-£100. Why bother? If you are halfway decent with a soldering iron you can do just as well and more if you wish by following the above link. And then if you are really bothered, spray the box red.
    Last edited by peva; 12 July 2012 at 11:23.