Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2005 9-3 arc convertible

9-3 arc convertible radio issues

First time posting in a forum I hope I'm doing this right. Not the most technical person in the world.

Just bought my first Saab two days ago. Had everything turned off while doing so to make sure I could hear any odd sounds. Mid way through the drive while I'm talking about all the things I'm comfortable with on the car the guy says to me they did tell you the radio doesn't work right? Heck no they didn't. By this time I'm hooked though so I want the car and I want to radio to work. I did get an IOU that I would have a working radio within the next 30 days I am to take it back (dealer is 2 hours away). I was so excited about getting the car and driving it I didn't even realize not only doesn't the radio work but none of the warning sounds, back up sensors, etc... make any noise. I thought wow this car is really quite I don't even hear the blinker on. duh I guess I really am supposed to hear it.

I've been researching and it looks like the "radio" is in fact basically the brain for a lot more than the radio in these cars. The dealer thinking it was the amp decided to take the amp out of an 06 aero and put it in mine to see if it works. NO go as the systems are not the same and with the top locked down he says they can't even see if there is an amp in the 06. He said his guy took the radio out of my car and put it in the 06 and the radio itself worked so that isn't the problem. He is so convinced it is the amp. Seems to be a lot of people have trouble with the radio and speakers in this car and I've heard amp 1 mentioned a lot which as I understand is under the passenger seat. This guy took out the drivers seat telling me there was an amp there and was confused why there wasn't said oh in this one it is in the back drivers quarter panel. While he seems to know a lot about a working saab his knowledge for how to diagnose a problem isn't encouraging.

I called the last place to service it before trade in which was in NY and I'm in KY and was told the previous owner had brought it in because the radio didn't work. After what they said was 2 hours of diagnoses they could not find what the problem was and told him he needed a new radio. Guess he decided he'd rather have a new car. Since my dealer said he put the actually radio in a different car and the radio itself worked I don't see who they came to that conclusion. Certainly they'd have been smart enough to power it outside the car before making that determination. My guy even took the driver door panel off for some reason thinking there was something in there he needed that would lead to a fix. Now my door panel rattles a little which it didn't during the test drive.

While I really want the radio that comes with it to work since it seems to be the brain of everything else do I give up with this guy and go with an after market stereo and install or keep waiting for him to figure it out? My hubby says if I get after market my steering wheel controls that are already on there won't work any more. I remember he had after market once and his didn't work on steering wheel he had to use an separate box and remote which took his eyes off the road. I don't want any extra things laying around or sticking on things. Also I'm afraid if the radio that comes with the car does control so much more than the radio how will those things work with after market. I understand it is a fiber option system all tied together and an after market would be wired for power independently.

I am confused as heck as to what to do and being absolutely ignorant in the field of technology and cars am terrified of turning what was to be my finally free of the mom car in the family and at 43 finally old enough to afford insurance on such a thing is just going to turn into nothing but frustration and a money pit. Seems like so many on here have gotten one part or another fixed on the factory system just to have another go bad. What would be your suggestion? Thanks to all who can help.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by Margery Cross View Post
    I did get an IOU that I would have a working radio within the next 30 days I am to take it back (dealer is 2 hours away)....and I'm in KY .
    If the dealer is 2 hours away, you must not be in Louisville. In Louisville, there's a good indie, Leo, at Nordic Motor Werks. He's worked on Saabs for probably 30 years. He did a little work on my 900. In Louisville, the dealer is Bluegrass, the Lincoln Mercury dealer.

For the 9-3, the turn signal sound comes out of the speakers.