Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)

Consider stockpiling red gas cans, even oil change containers: Blitz USA closes

Blitz USA is the biggest manufacturer of red gas cans, supplying about 70-75% of the U.S. market. The plastic cans are not imported but make in their own factory in Oklahoma. Blitz USA also makes oil drain containers used by people who change their own oil in their cars.

Over the past few years, Blitz USA has had problems with lawsuits, 42 of them unresolved as of November, 2011. Primarily, they involve the red gas cans. Despite using warnings approved by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), which include not pouring gas on to a fire, those who do that and get burned sue Blitz. The company has spent $30 million to defend itself and has $3.5 million in unpaid legal bills. The Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC), a U.S. government agency, has stated that consumer misuse of the simple plastic container is to blame, not the product itself. Yet, unless the CPSC formally issues standards, companies like Blitz USA, are forced to spend much more to defend lawsuits.

Blitz USA sold its non-gas can business and there are plans to continue production but I would be wary of the future.

Blitz USA has filed for bankruptcy and expects to liquidate (not re-organize) on July 31, 2012. There is expected to be a shortage of red gas cans next year.

See Blitz USA manufacturing plant in Miami to close in July » Local News » The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

What should the Saab driver do?

I used a nice Blitz oil change container from around 1989 until 2006. I was moving and the outside was a little smelly with oil. I am currently using my second Blitz container but the model that I picked wasn't as good as oil drains on the entire sloped top of the container, not through a large round opening like my first Blitz. Because of the shut down of Blitz USA, next weekend, I plan to buy the style of drain container that I really want. That should last possibly 30 years.

I once had a Blitz red gas can until I moved in 2006 and I deemed it too smelly to move. Now, I don't have use for one but I am considering buying a small emergency generator and a red gas can. Time to get them now as U.S. made ones might be impossible to get now that market leader, Blitz USA is shutting down.

Edit: One news source said Blitz USA was the only source of domestic made small gas containers. If so, it's an end of an industry.
    Last edited by Dave T; 23 July 2012 at 18:04.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Despite using warnings approved by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), which include not pouring gas on to a fire, those who do that and get burned sue Blitz.
    There aren't people that stupid, are there??

Not to worry, a manufacturer from China will step in soon offering inferior products for half the price.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    I have some old metal cans I'll have to rust treat and put back into use
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    Nah! You can't get a nice simple metal or plastic can now for under $25. They all have that stupid trigger and they take forever to empty. The AutoZone guys blamed it on California and said now fumes can't get out.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum