Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 Saab 9-3 Turbo 4-door hatchback.

Vacuum lines and o2 sensor

I was wondering if anyone can lead me to where I can locate my vaccume lines and o2 sensors on my '99 9-3. Got the code for the check engine light and it said misfire from o2 sensor or spark plugs. Wanted to check the other things out before I opened the direct ignition. Any other tips and suggestions are welcome. Thanks a lot for reading.
    Last edited by nordwulf; 08 August 2011 at 02:48. Reason: Changed thread title

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    There should be a diagram of the vacuum hoses on an emissions sticker in the engine compartment (on the front crossbeam right behind the grille possibly). It's like 2 inches by 3 inches, and shows the handful of hoses (4 of them I think). I think it's yellow... maybe.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Ok so I checked all hoses because the diagram confused me. All seem to be ok. Nothing loose. So, I will check the DI friday and replace spark plugs. If it still is showing Check Engine I will start the search for the O2 sensors.

Zach
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '98 900SE vert stg3+
    There are four vacuum hoses to check:
    -Valve cover to throttle body, part of your positive crankcase ventilation system
    -Bypass valve to throttle body
    -Fuel pressure regulator to throttle body
    -MAP sensor (by the firewall passenger side) to throttle body.

It is a very good idea to replace those with silicone hose.

Your front O2 sensor (the one that is probably causing your problem) is located after the turbo, on the exhaust. Just follow it down around the bend and you'll find it. It has a somewhat thick set of 4 wires going up to a connector sort of by the throttle body.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Fiveiron- Thank you. I am the type of person who need it spelled out exactly like you did. Thanks a ton. I will check it all out tomorrow. Still going to change sparks friday first. Then work towards the O2's

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Gary Fisher edition
    The DIC can be sensitive to loose connections onto the battery. My battery terminals had been replaced with aftermarket connectors. The cables were corroded and slightly loose inside the connectors. My misfiring error codes went away after servicing the wiring. A lot of very intermittent symptoms may be solved as well.

I have heard that Iridium alloy spark plugs may also mess up the DIC preignition detection. Since this was not designed to work with the highly pointed electrode, the plug may conduct more easily than expected when biased with a medium voltage.