Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    '95 9000 Aero, '98 9000 CSE, '05 9-5, '11 9-4X

GM conservative on computer algorithm for oil changes?

My wife's 3.0 XWD is calling for an oil change every 5,000 miles. Our son has a BMW X5 which runs10,000-12,000 before the computer asks for an oil change.

Yes, she does many short trips, but that still seems short for a modern DI engine.

jack vines

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    88' 9000 2.0i, 05' 9-5 Aero 345HP, 11' 9-4X Aero Hirsch
    with hirsch software + topspeeding + cold climate + racing i got 6200miles+ It is more than good, with slow style i was 25000 miles+

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x, 2008 9-3 Aero, had 2005 9-3 Arc, '93 9000CSE, '86 9000Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by packardv8 View Post
    My wife's 3.0 XWD is calling for an oil change every 5,000 miles. Our son has a BMW X5 which runs10,000-12,000 before the computer asks for an oil change.

Yes, she does many short trips, but that still seems short for a modern DI engine.

jack vines
    Could it be the oil used? My '05 9-3 Arc, and my wife's '08 9-3 Aero use Mobile 1 and go 12K to 15K before the car says its time to change the oil.

I haven't tracked my 9-4x exactly, but its pretty close to the 5K mark. I don't think it uses a full synthetic oil, I know it doesn't use Mobile 1.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    '95 9000 Aero, '98 9000 CSE, '05 9-5, '11 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
    Could it be the oil used? My '05 9-3 Arc, and my wife's '08 9-3 Aero use Mobile 1 and go 12K to 15K before the car says its time to change the oil.

I haven't tracked my 9-4x exactly, but its pretty close to the 5K mark. I don't think it uses a full synthetic oil, I know it doesn't use Mobile 1.
    AFAIK, the computer has no knowledge of the oil being used. Doesn't it just track length of time, cold starts, mileage, driving style and other driver and engine parameters?

jack vines

Actually the 9-4x does call for Mobil1 -- I get about 10K between changes.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel H View Post
    Actually the 9-4x does call for Mobil1 -- I get about 10K between changes.
    Really? Where? My '05 9-3 had a mobile 1 sticker in the engine bay. My 9-4x Premium 3.0i does not. I know the 9-4x talks about needing "dexos" certified oil in the manual.

I thought the dexos oil from the dealer is a synthetic blend, unlike Mobil 1 which may be on the dexos certified list but is a FULL Synthetic.

I've only had my oil changed at Saab dealers, so I expect they are at least putting in the oil Saab/GM wants in my 9-4x.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
    I've only had my oil changed at Saab dealers, so I expect they are at least putting in the oil Saab/GM wants in my 9-4x.
    Who knows what the Saab service center (dealers are a thing of the past) uses for oil. Could be the cheapest available brand available. One of the reasons I rather do my own oil changes besides cost. There are many Dexos certified oils and they can blends or full synthetic. GM dexos information center

The owners manual did show to use synthetic oil but not specifically Mobil 1 from what I remember. http://saabworld.net/f141/engine-oil...aab-9-4x-24925

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Who knows what the Saab service center (dealers are a thing of the past) uses for oil. Could be the cheapest available brand available. One of the reasons I rather do my own oil changes besides cost. There are many Dexos certified oils and they can blends or full synthetic. GM dexos information center

The owners manual did show to use synthetic oil but not specifically Mobil 1 from what I remember. Engine oil and filter - Saab 9-4X
    You're right, not really dealers now, but they were and I'm still in the habbit of calling them that (just like I still call Blackberry RIM, even thought they officially changed their name earlier this year). Where I take mine were and are still GM dealers (Cadillac mostly). Since they charge me the same price as they do for an SRX oil change, I hope they use the same oil for both

I had seen the GM dexos info page before. It doesn't mention "synthetic," or the like, except where it might be in an oil's name on their "certified" chart.

My manual (right in front of me) only mentions dexos (for example on pages 10-12, 11-4). it does not say "synthetic" or synthetic blend, conventional or anything like that. Only dexos certification mark, and if you can't find dexos oil, you can (should???) "top up" only with unapproved only.

I liked Mobil 1 in my 9-3. The long time between oil changes, no real engine issues, great gas mileage, etc.

Yes, you're right -- one manual just says "Dexos" -- and the other says Dexos 2 fully synthetic. I don't think you usually get Dexos2 in the US. I've always used Mobil 1 5-30 in the 9-4x which the dealer used on the first "free" oil change. Here's the excerpt from the service part of the manual:
    [FONT=Helvetica]Oils
    To meet the demands of extended oil
    service intervals, Saab fills all Saab
    9-4X engines with fully synthetic oil,
    which is environmentally friendly and
    promotes better fuel economy. By
    using the Saab-approved fully
    synthetic oil, you minimize the
    possibility of oil sludge build-up and
    protect the engine from harmful
    deposits. Servicing should be made
    according to the recommended
    intervals to optimize engine
    efficiency. Use only engine oil that is
    approved by Saab: Fully synthetic oil
    with viscosity OW-30, OW-40, 5W-30
    or 5W-40 and approved according to
    quality specification Dexos 2.
    Yo u r Saab dealer stocks and uses
    oils that meets these requirements.
    Other oil companies have synthetic
    oils that meet these requirements but
    with different viscosity ratings. The
    use of oil additives is not
    recommended and may be harmful to
    engine performance and protection.
    Refer to your Owner's Manual for
    additional information.
    [/FONT]

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Per the GM Dexos web site, Dexos2 appears to be for DIESEL engines, while dexos1 is for Gas engines.