Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 2003

Radio is dead. Suspect amp1. Any advice?

Stereo died after car wash. Water noticed in front of passenger seat. Seal around cabin filter assembly was bad and has been replaced. Mechanic checked the system and it reported the problem was at the CD player. But SaabRadio.com hosted at saabnet.com guy said most of the time that is false message, and the problem usually turns out to be amp1. I removed amp1 from under driver seat, opened it up and looked for issues. Couldn't see anything obvious.

I cut a short segment of fiber from some spare stereo equipment and carefully taped each end it into the optical connector piece that would normally have gone into the amp, thus completing the optical loop (bypassing the suspect amp).

Either my handy work wasn't so handy, or the problem is somewhere else in the system, perhaps the CD player. Does anybody have any advice on what I can do to help isolate where the problem is?

Thanks

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    You may have to use a fiber test cable with good connectors. I doubt that taping it up will make a good optical connection.

Looked around in the WIS but couldn't find any troubleshooting info.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    You may have to use a fiber test cable with good connectors. I doubt that taping it up will make a good optical connection.

Looked around in the WIS but couldn't find any troubleshooting info.
    I made one final attempt and it worked! I cut the segment using a razor knife instead of the sheers and I secured the segment in place by taping a little platform to the underside of the connector and taping the segment to the platform. Surprisingly the stereo doesn't sound much worse than it did with the door speakers active. Anyway, now I know the problem is the amp1. I called the Saab dealer and the guy said the replacement, which is a different model number, is $680. I think I will contact Pioneer support and see what they say.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Check sites like car-part.com or other automotive recyclers to search for a used amp1. $680 seems quite a bit of money for a new one.

Saab(s)
    '06 9-3SS Aero 6MT
    Maybe give these guys a try, although I have no clue what their prices are like.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 2003
    Talking with Pioneer was a dead-end. I also talked the saab radio guy and just didn't feel comfortable with that approach.
    I opted to get a new one from SAAB Parts Center for $563 (includes shipping). Works fine.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    93 Aero
    Or if you are in the UK this seller on Fleabay provides a great bypass service, got my amp back on 2 days and saved me a fortune!!

** SAAB 93 9-3 AMP1 (UNDER SEAT) AUDIO AMPLIFIER BYPASS SERVICE - 12800531 ** | eBay