Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd

Two year old battery died

In June of 2010 the ignition switch in my 07 9-3SC Aero went bad, killing the battery in the process. Everything was covered under warranty.

Last Saturday afternoon, getting ready to leave my dads, I heard the unmistakeable "click-click-click" of a dead battery when I tried to start it. I waited a minute and tried again, it cranked slowly, but caught and fired up. The SID reset and my mirrors returned to some default setting. Drove home with no issues, let the car sit all day Sunday. It seemed to be OK on Monday, but the mirrors kept going back to the default position and the one-touch up window switch didn't work on the drivers door. Tuesday morning it was very slow to crank but it started. I did a couple errands, not shutting the car off, then went to Autozone. (I'd like to say at this point that batteries have gotten a HELL of a lot more expensive since the last time I bought one!)

I'd already discussed this with Just Saabs service manager and we concluded that it probably had a dead or dying cell. The guy at Autozone tested the battery and it showed that it needed a charge and that it would probably strand me one day soon. It did, right there in the parking lot! Got home and replaced the battery and everything seems to be working fine. Got a Duralast Gold, 730CCA, 3 year warranty for $135 + tax.

The battery was 2.5 years old and had been in my car for 2 years and 1 month old and had a 24 month free replacement warranty. My best guess is that the high heat we've had this summer had something to do with it, probably because the cooling fan would run for 20 minutes every timed I shut the engine off.

On a side note, the Autozone clerk asked me where the OBDII port was on my car, not that he needed it to test the battery, he couldn't find one on an 04 9-3 2.0T Vert earlier that day. Mine is under the dash, above my right knee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Got in the car this morning and my mirrors had again returned to their default position.

No other issues have resurfaced, but this mirror thing is confusing. Might be time to get it to the dealer for a diagnostic.
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    OK, I'm beginning to think I have other issues.

The mirrors keep returning to a default "down" position and now the one-touch up on the passenger side front window doesn't work.