Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    same as above.
    Saab(s)
    Previous: 2003 9-5 Linear 2.3t | Want: Saab 9-3 Wagon

Low sound from turbo on acceleration

So I replaced my bad turbo with an aftermarket one from TurboChargerPros.com, I've driven 572 miles now and the other day I noticed a loud deep sound when I'm accelerating. It starts when the turbo gauge is in the space between white and yellow. It goes away when I push the turbo into yellow, then comes back with a dissipating sound to it when the turbo spools down from yellow to white. I'm thinking it's the wastegate. Any other ideas?

Saab Fan
    Sth Staffs, UK (and sometimes Westmeath, Ireland)
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 Aero
    Have you sorted this out yet?

What sort of sound is it? Do you have boost?

same as above.
    Saab(s)
    No I haven't, It sounds like someone is blowing over the top of an empty glass bottle. I'm going to be taking it in to the shop today so the mech can take a listen to it.

same as above.
    Saab(s)
    This kinda sounds like what it could be: http://www.oocities.org/griegerb/boschbov.html
    "[FONT=Rockwell]The second note is that the BOV makes a new sound. It hoots like an owl as you cross from vacuum to boost. If you hold it hovering around 0 PSI (mmHg), it sounds like a miniature fog horn! This is normal. Some say the new Bosch ones and the Porsche ones do not hoot, but I suspect they do. The 90 degree bend in the valve makes rushing air cross it like blowing over a coke bottle. You get a sound because of the shape, not because of the parts used in each. The Porsche one is said to whistle however, and would do so for the same reason![/FONT]"

This one as well:
    http://www.saabscene.com/forum/threa...top-of-bottle?

same as above.
    Saab(s)
    I've isolated the sound to the right front side of the engine bay. Right around the mass air flow sensor. Mini foghorn sound on acceleration. Was able to replicate the sound while stationary by putting it in drive, applying brake and accelerating to orange.

Saab Fan
    Sth Staffs, UK (and sometimes Westmeath, Ireland)
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 Aero
    Sounds like it could be a loose hose. The dump valve is on the gearbox side of the engine (left as you sit in the car) so it shouldn't be that.

The items on the right are the airfilter and MAF then going to the COBRA anf turbo. Check that the hose from the MAF isn't rubbed through as the belts are quite close. also check all the hose connections are tight. next check the air filter lid (on the bottom) is tight.

The noise is (obviuosly) air being drawn in. If you have smoke on hard acceleration then it's more likely to be on the high pressure side due to the engine management overcompensating with fuel.

same as above.
    Saab(s)
    Alright! I shall check those. There's no smoke on hard acceleration, so its not on the high pressure side.

bob evan
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '03 Saab 9-5 Aero
    My Saab does the same thing, and I am not worried at all. It only started occurring after I put an open air intake on it. Have you fiddled with yours?

Jose Mateos
    it is what it is...... josemateos's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Linear/TDO4 swap Stg 2
    EDIT: I guess I forgot to ask the most important question...did you figure out what it was? Also I have the same issue, sounds exactly like someone blowing over a glass bottle, but I've been able to determine that it only happens when the turbo needle is between white and yellow...so the turbo just kicking in, or under acceleration like you explained.....

Looks like I may have found the answer to a post I just put up a few days ago. I put on a open air intake, but that was about 20 k ago. I tested the BOV which is what most people are saying it would be but it seems to be fine....it's a stock bosche, but doesn't look original

Here's my post: Mine only happens between white and yellow on turbo gauge, right when it switches from atmospheric to turbo pressure

http://saabworld.net/f9/odd-noise-1-...er-load-28956/

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak View Post
    My Saab does the same thing, and I am not worried at all. It only started occurring after I put an open air intake on it. Have you fiddled with yours?
    Last edited by josemateos; 09 September 2013 at 20:12.
    Saabfisticated people aren't just smart.....they're fast

same as above.
    Saab(s)
    Mine only happens between white and yellow on turbo gauge, right when it switches from atmospheric to turbo pressure
    That's exactly what mine does, and I did put this K&N intake on before the old turbo went out on me. Watched the video of the sound you uploaded, same exact sound mine makes. I'm going to go ahead and order a Bosch forge valve off eBay and see if that does the trick. Have you done that yet?