Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.0t -99 E85Fuel 230hp

Home made check for pressure leaks

Hello from Finland!

I´d like to share one good tip for checking pressure leaks on Saab 9-5. I got this from SaabClubFinland forum so this in not result of my genious brain.

1) take off that rubber thing just after MAF and put it on your face tight so your nose is free to air (you maybe want to loosen the other end of that rubber thing from "cobra" -> you´ll get better angle,remember to tighten that cobra end when angle is good

2) take off hose coming from cobra next to oil "hole" (that hose ends in T-thing) and put your left hand finger on it

3) now blow your lunges away on that rubber thing on your face --> stop blowing and keep your face tight on that rubber thing, and listen carefully, there shouldn´t be any shhhh -leaking sounds
    make sure that environment is quiet enough so you can hear smallest leaking sounds

tip: ask your wife to listen or even blow, she is thankfull, this time she has to BLOW not suck!!!

Jose Mateos
    it is what it is...... josemateos's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Linear/TDO4 swap Stg 2

Can you post pics.....

I was wondering if you could post some pics I was also wondering if there was a work instruction on testing a PCV system

Quote Originally Posted by mienkoiv View Post
    Hello from Finland!

I´d like to share one good tip for checking pressure leaks on Saab 9-5. I got this from SaabClubFinland forum so this in not result of my genious brain.

1) take off that rubber thing just after MAF and put it on your face tight so your nose is free to air (you maybe want to loosen the other end of that rubber thing from "cobra" -> you´ll get better angle,remember to tighten that cobra end when angle is good

2) take off hose coming from cobra next to oil "hole" (that hose ends in T-thing) and put your left hand finger on it

3) now blow your lunges away on that rubber thing on your face --> stop blowing and keep your face tight on that rubber thing, and listen carefully, there shouldn´t be any shhhh -leaking sounds
    make sure that environment is quiet enough so you can hear smallest leaking sounds

tip: ask your wife to listen or even blow, she is thankfull, this time she has to BLOW not suck!!!
    Saabfisticated people aren't just smart.....they're fast

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by josemateos View Post
    I was wondering if you could post some pics I was also wondering if there was a work instruction on testing a PCV system
    Well, I can try:
    engine | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

as seen in picture:

A+B: loosen these clamps
    A+B: bend B-end so you can little rise the opposite end (A) and so can easily get A-end on your face, tight, make sure that there is no air coming between the rubber and your cheek skins, when it is good position tighten clamp-B!!!
    C: approximately here there is a plastic T, follow the metal tube (green) over here where green line stops. it changes rubber tube in some point. take of that rubber tube end off the plastic T. put your left hand finger in the end of that rubber tube, tight.

Now you have to just blow your lungs out and stop blowing, hold the air in the system for a while and listen carefully for leaking sound. a friend is good in that job, he/she can listen and put ear very close to the car..or spray some soap water to reveal leak spots.

Jose Mateos
    Saab(s)
    Thx! So the red circle isn't for anything? Also I was going to try with a hand pump....I think I can probably just follow the PCV system thru the motor and figure out which way the air is supposed to flow, but I am definitely going to try your trick...thx!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    You can also put some air with air compressor (carefully) to the C-hose in turbos magnet ventile (there is C,W,R -hoses in it)...you have to prevent airflow putting a 1,5L bottle in the end of big rubber thing (upper in my picture, position #A) and then carefully blow air in C-hose...

this AND upper home made -way reveals air leaks from turbo system (EVAP-system, turbos O-rings), NOT PCV-system

Jose Mateos
    Saab(s)
    I was wondering why u were removing the house on MAF.....didn't realize that was something i needed to test....doing my valve cover an new cylinder head bolts tomorrow, bought a mighty vac hand pump to test PCV....I found a diagram....thx again