Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Aero, 2002 9-3 SE

No cluster lights

2004 9-5 Aero..cluster lights went out yesterday, all gauges are still functioning. No green background lights or accessory lights are functioning. No warning indicators, turn signal blinkers, cruise control lights, hi-beams. The only thing illuminating in the cluster is odometer. Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Adam

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    I just drove the car and now all the warning lights are illuminated. Does this sound like an ABS module per another recent post? The car is running fine and everything is working with the exception of the lights in the cluster.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    I went through the huge ordeal of replacing the electrical portion of the ignition switch and the problem still exists. The only lights in the instrument cluster that are functioning is the open door indicators and the odometer. All the gauges are still functioning properly. Can someone please offer a suggestion. Thanks!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Do you have the DRL enabled or disabled with the fuse? I think I read when you have the DRL enabled and the light switch is in the Off position, instrument cluster lights are turned off. Or something like that.

Just a thought that came into my mind, I haven't tested this myself.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Hi Frank! The car has Xenon headlights which I believe act as the DRL's as well. They are functioning properly and are always on regardless of where the switch is positioned.

Just on another note, when the night display on the SID unit is on, all of the gauges stop working as well (Speedometer/tachometer/fuel gauge). Is this normal or could it be related?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Robison View Post
    Hi Frank! The car has Xenon headlights which I believe act as the DRL's as well. They are functioning properly and are always on regardless of where the switch is positioned.
    So it doesn't make a difference with the instrument cluster lights using different light switch positions?

But you mentioned you have no warning indicators, turn signal blinkers, cruise control lights, hi-beams so this theory isn't valid anyways.. I wish I could be of more help but I haven't seen this before.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Robison View Post
    Just on another note, when the night display on the SID unit is on, all of the gauges stop working as well (Speedometer/tachometer/fuel gauge). Is this normal or could it be related?
    This is normal behavior for the gauges when Night Panel is activated.

Ivan
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero Sedan (R.I.P.), 2006 9-5 2.3T Sport, 2008 9-3 Aero SC
    Speedo should't be off when night panel is active.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Ile2010...you are correct. Speedometer does still work on night panel, nothing else does. And sorry Frank, I misunderstood what you meant. The instrument cluster remains dark regardless of where the switch is positioned.

It started out with all lights, including warning lights being illuminated, to nothing. Just some thoughts of mine could be the DICE, ECM, or maybe even the ABS module. Could even be just a bad ground somewhere. I need to regroup after installing the ignition switch today. That was a lot of work for it not to be fixed.

Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Aero
    I'm experience the same thing on my 2004 Saab 9-5. The gauges work, and odometer, trip meter and "shift up" indicator work, and night panel extinguishes the gauges as is expected, but what doesn't work is any panel illumination nor any indicators including turn indicators, check engine light, high beams, fog light indicators or warning indicators (battery, oil, red triangle, etc.).

Did you ever find a solution to this?