Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Aero auto.

Want to do a coolant change

2005 Aero. I know I need Dexcool and distilled water. 2 gal approx. each correct? I have read various
    methods of doing this, but I need clarification. I'm changing out the t-stat during this process. I also would
    rather drain from the lower radiator hose than the petcock. Is it suitable to run distilled water through it
    once drained till it runs clear (or tap)?
    I could have a garage do it for 125.00. I'm very good at DIY but always been a little leary of coolant changes
    as far as procedure goes. Worried about leaks, overheating, etc... Only thing I get paranoid about when it
    comes to the cooling of the engine. I would greatly appreciate a specific step by step on this. I have the
    instructions on the t-stat.
    Some say you can do a drain and fill w/out starting the car, and others say to start the car, heat on, etc.
    I prefer to put the car on ramps while doing this. Thanks for feedback!!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    You can also buy 50/50 pre-mixed Dexcool. The WIS shows the capacity is 7.4 liters so 2 gallons should be enough.

There aren't any instructions in the WIS for flushing the system, only for changing the coolant. I added those instructions here: http://saabworld.net/f29/coolant-change-saab-9-5-a-2691/

I need to do mine as well so please share your experience.

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Aero auto.
    Thanks Frank. I'll get w/you once complete......if I decide to do it myself that is.

Update: Ok I just read the instructions. Can it be that easy? What is w/the running the heat on high scenario
    and driving the car a bit about? It seems logical to only have to do a simple "drain and re-fill" literally.
    Yes, I plan on getting the pre-mix dex. I'm wondering if the "heat" step relates to changing out the t-stat
    along w/the coolant change. Does it matter?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Running the engine with the heater on full is probably because of the coolant running through the heater core. If you have the heat on, it'll make sure to remove any air from those lines.

There really isn't much to draining and filling coolant, unless you want to do a full system flush with special equipment.

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    the antifreeze not need to be changed, is for the life of the vehicle ... longlife ...; for this reason, there is no procedure in the WIS. You just have to refill as necessary in a repair job, as a change of a component like the expansion tank, cylinder head gasket, water pump ......

when the circuit is empty the radiator pipes, rubber gaskets, water pump and other parts of the circuit, joints seals, are exposed to corrosion, contractions and leakeages by the next few days.

the old coolant has lost all the corrosion properties but not as refrigerant; the new coolant add rust properties to the circuit.

for that reason, is why engineering have studied over time, how to avoid this situation, making better antifreeze for the life of the vehicle.
    Last edited by jlrSAAB; 12 August 2011 at 17:51.

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    I strongly advocate draining out DexCool on a 2 to 3 year schedule and replace with fresh. Too many owners of GM products have had DexCool turn to jell in their cooling systems, particularly in cars with vented systems like the 9-5. Why do you think the name DeathCool was coined?

On the 9-5 you will need one gallon of full strength DexCool and one gallon of distilled water, or two gallons of the pre-mix. If you buy the full strength coolant add one half gallon of anti-freeze to the coolant recovery bottle, then add one half gallon of distilled water. Mix the remaining distilled water with the remaining coolant and use this 50:50 solution to finish filling the system. You will end with approximately one quart of coolant remaining. Save this for future top offs.