Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Jose Mateos
    it is what it is...... josemateos's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Linear/TDO4 swap Stg 2

Help PLZ! New to Saab and needing some advice

So my 02 Passat died with 220k on it and I decided to go with a Saab 95 as I've always loved them . It's a 2001 9-5 linear it currently has 133k and I'm hoping to get another 100k out of it. I have the maintenance log showing maintenance done at George's Imports in KC where I live up to 85k, then I have no records for the 40k from previous owner, I'm assuming it wasnt maintained the best as I've had to change oil and air filter and neither looked good. right now I'm getting a small amount of smoke on cold startup with a very slight bluish tint...not sure if its valve seals or turbo at this pt basically

I'm wondering what all I should do at this point. it had the famous ignition cassette changed by previous owner. I'm thinking sludge cleanout and pcv replacement and possibly timing belt-not sure if there's an easy way to get to it to check how is looking or if it's a pain like on some vehicles. Plz some advice on what you would do....I can do things brakes rotors alternators, even put in a clutch (given it was RWD) but I don't have a lot of time to spend so bigger jobs I'd take it to a shop or have my friend who's a mechanic do it at my house. anyone live near KC that can recommend a goodshop...so far I've only seen Saab Dr and George's imports, and I believe the Dr. is cheaper.

I love the car so far....I've already removed the SID and sent it in for repair and will do my alarm net as it has been sporadically going off....atleast it was before I removed the SID not sure if I've is been lucky or if they're somehow connected...I know I lost all the steering wheel controls when I took it out...I trk to iron the ribbon but only a few pixels came back. Any advice would be very much appreciated....thx! Obj also want to add that's it's cooling of here and the car is hard to start in the morning...not real bad, but its takes a couple seconds....the manual said that could be normal in winter, but its only fall here. Main concern is the smoke and also sludge as a clogged pickup tube caused the demise of my vdub although that was due to altogether bad design. thx in advance

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    You didn't specify which engine you have but most likely a 2.3t 4-cylinder. A small puff of blue smoke at start-up could indicate the seals of your turbo are going bad. If it isn't really bad, there is no big hurry to replace but should be done sooner or later. It's a common issue with the GT17 turbo and it often starts to happen after 100K miles. Valve seals usually aren't a problem with the 9-5 so my best guess is the turbo.

A sludge check and making sure the pickup tube is clear should be done on the 2003 and earlier 9-5. http://saabworld.net/f29/saab-9-5-oi...heck-sludge-7/ My 2001 with the same engine was in serious need of cleaning as well. Also make sure you already have the latest PCV and replace if needed.

The 4-cylinder has a timing chain and usually doesn't need to be replaced unless it is making a lot of noise. Only the V6 has a timing belt that needs to be replaced every 60K miles.

Welcome to SaabWorld and good luck with your 9-5!

Jose Mateos
    it is what it is...... josemateos's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Linear/TDO4 swap Stg 2
    thx wulf! Very much appreciated, is there a walkthrough on replacing the turbo seals? the smoke isn't very bad, and its only at startup, it seems to have a bluish tint but it's hard to tell. tonight I'm removing my siren and sending it to bba to be repaired as it randomly goes off. although it hasn't happened since I sent my SID to be repaired. Question...how can I tel if I have the latest pcv update? I found several websites with kits and they all look very similar I noticed that they have a tube that comes off the oil cap holder....is that how I can tell? also I've heard there are six updates so I would want the newest one...if it is the line off the oil cap/stick holder us that only on the newest update or did previous ones have that? I've found 6 websites with the kit and they all have the tube off th e dipstick. ALSO ny engine us really dirty and I'd like to clean it, but I don't want to hurt anything....any advice? should i leave the motor running or off...I've heard different opinions. also should I cover anything. And yes it is 4 cyl...is being harder to start in the morning normal for these cars? thx again!