Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ian Scott
    Saab(s)
    Current: 87 900t, 02 9-5 4d Past: 88 900t, 05 9-5 wagon, 87,89 9000T, 91+85 900S, 84 900 8vt 4d
    Well, s--t f--k. After all that, it comes to this. I feel for you. : /

Edward G
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    T5.5 84 900T8
    That's terrible news Nuclear, so now you have no more Saabs, good on you for getting it all sorted though, what an achievement!!!, today I've decided that my transmission has a similar primary drive noise to what you were talking about, when reversing I hear what sounds like chain slap and get jerky backlash, I also hear it in first and 2nd, I hear the clackety noise when I have my foot OFF the clutch, when I put it on I hear no noise.

I am wondering if worn primary drive chains (beyond the limit of the tensioner) may have caused your transmission failure, the slack in the chain transfers into a heavy jerk on the gears when accelerating, that could have been the cause of the chipped tooth in 3rd.

At this stage I'm really thinking I should remove the primary cover and check the chains for slack, if there is no slack I know I have something else severely wrong.

For now I will keep driving but carefully, I have a number of spare gearboxes just none rebuilt yet.... (money for bearings is short - I have access to all the tools and equipment now)

All the best with your future endeavors, shame to see you leave the forums, and best wishes for your health also.

Ed

Hear my Saab a comin' nuclear944's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    Past: 1989 SPG & 1989 900 N/A Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by s900t8v View Post
    That's terrible news Nuclear, so now you have no more Saabs, good on you for getting it all sorted though, what an achievement!!!
    All the best with your future endeavors, shame to see you leave the forums, and best wishes for your health also.
    Thanks for the comments, Ed & Ian. It is pretty devastating to have to end it like this after all the work. The thing is though, I am in no way leaving the Saab scene! You see, I am moving out of the country this spring, and Europe is full of affordable c900's in much better shape than the beaters you find here.
    In all fairness, even though I was really attached to the SPG, it was a bit of a beater. The wounds that were inflicted on it by the PO were never quite fixed. It just wasn't a well kept, solid example to begin with. The stuff I'm seeing on German classifieds looks like brand new yet it sells for the same price:

I could take this notchback and turn it into a rally replica:
    http://www.autoscout24.eu/Details.aspx?id=mk3uzkcs3fdj

Or this rare 4 door saloon:
    http://www.autoscout24.eu/Details.aspx?id=b41jdrxfygzo

This Aero is very cheap:
    http://www.autoscout24.eu/Details.aspx?id=mkhuy2b12s3y

I'd be buying this right now if I was in Europe:
    http://www.autoscout24.eu/Details.aspx?id=cayr2pxf3wj3

The thing is, I have a proper garage, workshop, and tools at my place in Bulgaria. I won't have to work on a parking lot with two tool kits.

today I've decided that my transmission has a similar primary drive noise to what you were talking about, when reversing I hear what sounds like chain slap and get jerky backlash, I also hear it in first and 2nd, I hear the clackety noise when I have my foot OFF the clutch, when I put it on I hear no noise.

I am wondering if worn primary drive chains (beyond the limit of the tensioner) may have caused your transmission failure, the slack in the chain transfers into a heavy jerk on the gears when accelerating, that could have been the cause of the chipped tooth in 3rd.

At this stage I'm really thinking I should remove the primary cover and check the chains for slack, if there is no slack I know I have something else severely wrong.

For now I will keep driving but carefully, I have a number of spare gearboxes just none rebuilt yet.... (money for bearings is short - I have access to all the tools and equipment now)
    The clackety noise that you hear in the first video in this thread is the same noise that could be heard after I lost 3rd gear except at a much higher intensity.
    The things is though, this box had only 90k miles. How can the chains wear that much in 90k miles?
    For reference the "new" gearbox I put in had NO slack between the primary sprockets.
    The backlash you are experiencing is probably in the driveshafts. The inner driver cups wear and the tripod bearings move around radially to cause rotational play. Same goes with C/V joints. I've experienced it. Causes an annoying thud when letting up on the clutch.
    This maybe the origin of your backlash problem. Twist the driveshafts by hand under the car and you'll see what I'm talking about. With the front wheels in the air, hold one inner driver cup while rotating the tyre. If there is any play between those two, it will cause a nasty backlash.

As for the clacking noise, it could be anything. Try jacking up one front wheel, putting the transmission in gear, and rotating the wheel while someone presses the clutch for you. If you can hear clicking, failure is imminent.

Keep in mind that I could have probably avoided catastrophic failure by not using 3rd gear and not boosting at all.
    Last edited by nuclear944; 20 January 2012 at 18:33.

Ian Scott
    Saab(s)
    Current: 87 900t, 02 9-5 4d Past: 88 900t, 05 9-5 wagon, 87,89 9000T, 91+85 900S, 84 900 8vt 4d
    If you're going to be across the pond, and just so HAPPEN to come across one of these at a junkyard, cheap... think of me? : )

Name:  resized_100_0187.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  40.2 KB

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drwatson32 View Post
    If you're going to be across the pond, and just so HAPPEN to come across one of these at a junkyard, cheap... think of me? : )
    Actually most cars I see for sale in Europe have those steering wheels... Maybe later this year I could ship one over..I'm sure there will be other requests for rare parts...whaletail anyone?

Ian Scott
    Saab(s)
    That would be so darned neat. I've just changed my mind about that last picture... up till now I wanted one for years, but I think it's too contemporary (I love the 80's look and feel) But between the Carlsson wheel and the a-symmetrical boomerang wheel... aw man I LOVE THOSE. They're the perfect dose of weird. While you're over there, I'll likely also bug you for flat front headlights : P Sam will probably try to get you to send over an entire 5-door car haha

Well, I'm gad there appears to be plenty of fish in the sea, over there. I browsed that site, for kicks, and found a lot of neat stuff; most of which is quite pricy. ...'and a few hawt boomerang and Carlsson steering wheels.

Saab(s)
    Well since this forum is so quiet and I just realized I still haven't posted carnage pics, I am going to continue the subject on what caused this failure.
    (By the way, I just made 150$ selling the good parts I had left from the gearbox; what a WIN!!!)
    3rd and 4th gear:

Reverse Idler:

One of the pinion bearings:

5th hub:

Saab(s)
    Cluster shaft:

Reverse pinion gear:

Pinion gear:

Saab(s)
    Parts That didn't get Destroyed:

Shift forks:

1st and 2nd gear:

Layshaft drive gear:

The syncro sleeves and muffs were in top condition with no sign of damage. Looks like due to case flex, 3rd gear meshed at a wrong angle until a tooth sheared off and as the turbo kicked in in 3rd for the last time, it sheared the gears clean off.

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    Quote Originally Posted by drwatson32 View Post

Name:  resized_100_0187.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  40.2 KB
    Well, I've had nearly every 900 model in the UK but I've never seen either of those.