Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

2011 Saab 9-4X: service, repair, parts and reliability

Please share your experiences with repairs and service for your the 2011 Saab 9-4X. I think it will be helpful for potential new and existing owners to determine if buying one of these Saabs new or used is a reasonable safe choice for the near future.

Talk about:

• experiences at (former) Saab dealers, other brand dealers or independent garages
    • availability and prices of parts, parts from other makes (Cadillac or other GM)
    • warranty coverage and acceptance of aftermarket warranties
    • experience with diagnostics (i.e. Tech II)
    • repair manuals
    • experience with repairing and servicing yourself
    • reliability of your Saab 9-4X

Feel free to add any additional information you think is important for potential Saab 9-4X owners.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    '95 9000 Aero, '98 9000 CSE, '05 9-5, '11 9-4X
    Our local Saab dealer, Jaremko, has a long-time factory trained tech who attended a Saab school on the 9-4X. Mine has never needed service, but I learned Darryl had been to school when the woman who brought the second 9-4X into Spokane took hers there for a checkover after having it trucked in from MSP.

The Cadillac service manager told me they'd have no problem on anything mechanical other than body and interior parts.

I've changed my own oil and filter. In that respect, it's just another car.

Now, if I could just find some wheels for snow tires. In that respect, having a unique bolt pattern is a huge PITA.

jack vines

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 Saab 9-4X Aero
    P0496 CEL, looked up a solution that is related to the V6 9-3 SS Aero ordered the same part (confirmed part#'s) will report back on the CEL once part is replaced.

Had the oil changed at the local chevy dealer with no issue.

we are waiting on 4 parts for several months now due to a minor bender on the front nose.

had the interior footwell leak, along with others. that is something that should probable be checked on all 9-4s.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Quote Originally Posted by kanundrum View Post
    P0496 CEL, looked up a solution that is related to the V6 9-3 SS Aero ordered the same part (confirmed part#'s) will report back on the CEL once part is replaced.
    DTC P0496
    Diagnostic Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.

Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.

Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.
    DTC Descriptor

DTC P0496: Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Flow During Non-Purge
    Circuit/System Description

This DTC tests for undesired intake manifold vacuum flow to the evaporative emission (EVAP) system. The engine control module (ECM) seals the EVAP system by commanding the EVAP canister purge solenoid valve OFF and the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve ON. The ECM monitors the fuel tank pressure sensor to determine if a vacuum is being drawn on the EVAP system. If vacuum in the EVAP system is more than a predetermined value within a predetermined time, this DTC sets.
    The following table illustrates the relationship between the ON and OFF states, and the Open or Closed states of the EVAP canister purge and vent solenoid valves.

Control Module Command
    EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid Valve
    EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid Valve
    ON
    Open
    Closed
    OFF
    Closed
    Open
    Conditions for Running the DTC

DTCs P0106, P0107, P0108, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0120, P0121, P0122, P0123, P0220, P0222, P0223, P0442, P0443, P0446, P0449, P0451, P0452, P0453, P0454, P0464, P0608, P0609, P0641, P0651, P1516, P2101, P2119, P2120, P2122, P2123, P2125, P2127, P2128, P2135, P2138 are not set.

The ignition voltage is between 11–18 volts.

The barometric pressure (BARO) is more than 74 kPa.

The fuel level is between 15–85 percent.

The engine coolant temperature (ECT) at start-up is less than 35°C (95°F).

The intake air temperature (IAT) is between 4–30°C (39–86°F).

DTC P0496 runs once per cold start when the above conditions are met.
    Conditions for Setting the DTC

The ECM detects more than 10 inch H2O vacuum for 5 seconds during a non-purge condition.
    Action Taken When the DTC Sets

DTC P0496 is a Type B DTC.
    Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

DTC P0496 is a Type B DTC.
    Reference Information

Schematic Reference

Engine Controls Schematics

Connector End View Reference

Component Connector End Views

Description and Operation

Evaporative Emission Control System Description

Electrical Information Reference

DTC Type Reference

Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Type Definitions

Scan Tool Reference

Control Module References for scan tool information
    Circuit/System Verification

1. Ignition ON, engine OFF, seal the EVAP system using the Purge/Seal function with a scan tool.

2. Start the engine.

3. Observe the fuel tank pressure sensor with a scan tool. The Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor parameter should be less than 1.7 volts after 90 seconds.

If the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor parameter is greater than the specified range, go to Circuit/System Testing.

4. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.
    Circuit/System Testing

1. Ignition ON, engine OFF.

2. Seal the EVAP system using the Purge/Seal function with a scan tool.

3. Start the engine.

4. Observe the fuel tank pressure sensor with a scan tool. The Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor parameter should be less than 1.7 volts after 90 seconds.

If the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor parameter is greater than the specified range, replace the Q12 EVAP canister purge solenoid valve.
    Repair Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure.
    Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Solenoid Valve Replacement
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 Saab 9-4X Aero
    Yeap it was a easy solution, just replace the evap purge valve and you are good to go. Same as the TurboX 9-3 V6

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 Saab 9-4X Aero
    FYI as I stated in the Other Forum, for those who have steering making noise, the issue is TOP Mounts on the Struts need replacing and its directly related to the weather when its Cold.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x, 2008 9-3 Aero, had 2005 9-3 Arc, '93 9000CSE, '86 9000Turbo
    Well, I rolled over 26K miles with my 9-4x, having taken delivery of it NEW with less than 40 miles on it.

The excess mileage was due to an unexpected job change which caused me to drive over 65 miles per day for work. We've now moved so the commute is shorter, but still about 45 mile round trip.

Initially I had planned to take my 9-4x back to Scott Saab in Allentown PA where I purchased it, as they told me they would honor the warranty in Feb '12. But now my mom moved in with me, its no longer easy to take it up there, miss work, etc.

Here is the list of items I've had issues with...

1. Rear washer squirting a useless slow/trickle down the window (dirt diverted it so it didn't hit the wiper blade, and more recently not squirting at all.) - I first took it to Scott Saab in Allentown who told me the slow trickle was normal. After it stopped squirting completely, I took it to General Sales Saab West Chester, PA. They fixed it. Cause was crushed corrugated hose which supplies the fluid in the rear head liner. General sales cut it out and also replaced the squirter nozzle.

2. Front passenger side foot well WET! - Fixed by General Sales Saab, drain tube disconnected. (I have to look at the receipt and see if they used parts)

3. rumbling/humming sound coming from the front end as I drove. Pitch changed as my speed changed. The sound did not follow engine RPM, and happened with transmission in neutral. It got quiet on right hand turns, came back as I straightened out. - Being fixed as I type this (left front bearing) by General Sales Saab.

4. Moisture in some of the lights. Now visible only after going through a car wash, mostly on passenger side marker light, occasionally in passenger tail light - NOT FIXED. I have not done anything about this due to the warranty status.

Beyond that, I've only had the regular oil changes, tire rotations, air and cabin filters changed, wiper blade replacements, and now PA state inspection and emissions test.

While it hasn't been too outrageous yet, having the factory warranty in effect, along with the no charge scheduled maintenance and service would have been better on my wallet.

And its kind of funny. The guys at General Sales know me by name. Apparently because mine is the only 9-4x they service. And if I understand correctly, they didn't have any to sell. I still have guys coming to check it out when I drop it off, saying they've never seen one in person. I get a lot of positive compliments.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 Saab 9-4X Aero
    I have had

Leak in Foot Well Issue
    Bent Gas Cap (Previous Owner)
    Top Mounts on Shocks make noise when cold (Common Issue apparently on SRX vehicles)

The last one has not been fixed because it does not need addressing at the moment. When it does I will be doing the work my self.

Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium, 2010 9-5 Aero, 2008 TurboX SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
    4. Moisture in some of the lights. Now visible only after going through a car wash, mostly on passenger side marker light, occasionally in passenger tail light - NOT FIXED. I have not done anything about this due to the warranty status.
    It is interesting you have the moisture too. Does everyone? I get the moisture in the light bar in the back, as well as the tail lights. It's not getting into the lights themselves, just the plastic pieces that goes over the lights.

I thought it was just designed that way for some reason, but are there 9-4X owners out there that get no moisture inside that light bar area in the back?

I do not get moisture inside my 2010 9-5 Aero's lightbar, but it seems installed differently -- more flush..