Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '11 9-4X Aero, '07 9-3 Aero Conv, had 9-3 Conv (99) 9000 (86)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkemmerly View Post
    Treeska, did you find a supplier for LED side rear light? Also, were you able to fix drain plug info. I have the same 2 issues.
    I had the same issue with a rear LED light few times, on a really cold day after the car-wash especially. Just take out the whole light assembly, disconnect it, and slowly reconnect it so you see LED blink for a second, keep on repeating it slowly until if fully lights up again. It keeps on working for a while until a really cold day or until a new light arrives in your mail

Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium, 2010 9-5 Aero, 2008 TurboX SC
    Quote Originally Posted by bkemmerly View Post
    Treeska, did you find a supplier for LED side rear light? Also, were you able to fix drain plug info. I have the same 2 issues.
    I picked up a back right tail light off of eBay (hammysauto) for $175. They had a bunch of them ... some listed as "LED does not work" ... so be careful. I bought the most expensive one ($175 version, "LEDs work as they should" and "nice") and got it in a timely fashion. When it arrived it had an internal tag that said "Prototype Only", which made me nervous. But, I tested it out and it worked just fine. After sealing the perimeter and all the connectors with a clear epoxy, I installed it and we are good to go. I also installed a new left side too (which I bought from a dealer), also newly sealed, so my LEDs are now back in business. The downside is in comparison to the two new LEDs, my light bar is noticeably less bright. So ... I just ordered a new one of them from SAABUSAParts for ~$380 shipped to me. I have ~51K miles on my 9-4X Premium at this time...

Saab Fan
    Either the Coast or Mountains of North Carolina
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium FWD
    Was looking around on eBay today and found where a company is parting out a Diamond Silver 9-4x (base I believe) with black interior. Looks like they have just about every part available from the doors back. If anybody needs these parts/has the extra cast to stock up, here's the link to the parts available:

WHEEL, VISOR items in 9-4x store on eBay!

Saab(s)
    '06 9-3
    So Overall, is this car reliable? How easy is it to fix problems? (Maybe a Cadilac dealer?)

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium FWD
    Quote Originally Posted by clprenz View Post
    So Overall, is this car reliable? How easy is it to fix problems? (Maybe a Cadilac dealer?)
    I haven't had my 9-4X for quite as long as most on here (I purchased it in May 2014) but have overall been very impressed. Basically everything under the hood, from the engine to the navigation system to the sunroof, are all GM products (same as the very popular Cadillac SRX). Other parts, such as body panels, windshields, etc. are not east to come by, however (according to Orio AB/Saab Parts NA), they are out there... somewhere... As far as oil changes and normal maintenance, it is just an SRX.

I would definitely recommend getting an Extended Service Contract. I have mine through Hendrick Autoguard (5 y/50k) and have had no problems, but Saab Secure (offered through Orio AB/Allstate Service Contracts) is also a great options if it has less than 70k miles. Parts are not necessarily more expensive than the Cadillac, however if it takes a week or two for an imperative part, you want rental coverage for the time. Also be sure to check where the closest Certified Saab Service Center (they are mostly Caddy dealerships that used to sell Saabs) is (available on Orio's website) as those are pretty much the only places you can get new parts.

All in all, I would definitely recommend the 9-4X. It is definitely sportier and looks better than the SRX (in my opinion). Just be prepared to face a heart ache or two if parts do become an issue. Hope this helps!

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    '95 9000 Aero, '98 9000 CSE, '05 9-5, '11 9-4X
    Yes, it's been about average in reliability, as most of the hard parts are shared with Cadillac and other GM lines. thus, it can be serviced at any Cadillac dealer.

The problems are with the glass, body parts and lighting. Those are a PITA and expensive to replace.

Bottom line - the only possible reason to buy one is the irrational attraction to SAAB which many of us have.

jack vines

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x, 2008 9-3 Aero, had 2005 9-3 Arc, '93 9000CSE, '86 9000Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by clprenz View Post
    Mine has been pretty good (knock on wood).. I now have just over 57K miles on it.

See what I typed in Post #8 of this thread. Since then, I had the following...

1. replaced the wiper blades (front and back) at least twice so far (I used Peak Optic X blades. They are "cheap" but do work well, even in snow and ice)
    2. Service Rear Axel message (see -> http://saabworld.net/f141/saab-9-4x-...67044-a-27498/ )
    3. Suspension nut recall (see -> http://saabworld.net/f141/2011-2012-...on-nuts-30808/ )
    4. finally replaced front brake rotors and pads (they were warped at about 10-12K miles, and I waited until they bothered me to replace them)

The driver side front window is intermittently making some noises and slow to go up/down. All indication is that the regulator or motor is going, and will eventually need to be replaced.

The "eye brow leds" on the one tail light is starting to act flakey (sometimes they work, other times they dont). There is some discussion in the 9-4x Facebook group (and here -> http://saabworld.net/f141/saab-94-x-...77/index4.html ). Its a cosmetic thing so I haven't done anything on it yet.

Where I live, when Saab was still in business, there were two Cadillac/Saab dealers near enough to me. General Sales Cadillac/Saab in West Chester (PA) and Delaware Saab in Wilmington (DE). General Sales is now closer, and still do Saab service. They have done all service I have had, except the first two attempts at the rear washer squirter (mentioned in post #8). I always liked General sales since I got my 2005 9-3 Arc there. I took mine and the wife's Saabs there. I only used General Sales a few times with my older Saabs because they were right around the corner.

There is a Cadillac dealer across the street from my office. When I needed an oil change in a pinch, they didn't think they could change the oil!! After explaining its the same as the 2011 SRX w/3.0L, they still wouldn't make an appointment for me! So "just any Cadillac" dealer might not always be an option.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium FWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
    There is a Cadillac dealer across the street from my office. When I needed an oil change in a pinch, they didn't think they could change the oil!! After explaining its the same as the 2011 SRX w/3.0L, they still wouldn't make an appointment for me! So "just any Cadillac" dealer might not always be an option.
    I had the same issue with our local GM dealership. They said they didn't work on non GM vehicles, however they decided to look at if after I explained the similarities with the SRX. They changed the oil but were really rude about it. Haven't taken it to them since.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium FWD
    Just got mine back from the Hendrick Cadillac (formerly Saab) in Cary (was able to see two 9-4x's while it was in, so that was a plus!). Here is the repair info; prices are set up (parts|labor|total):

1. Front Strut Mounts (p/n 22918669) replaced (117.28|308.00|425.28) - Solved steering scrubbing noise in cold
    2. Left Rear Taillight (p/n 15-890-924) replaced (317.57|110.00|427.57) - Fixed LED bar not working
    3. Rear Windshield Washer Sprayer (p/n 25979366) replaced (54.18|110.00|164.18) - Rear Sprayer wasn't working
    4. Driver's Window Regulator (p/n 22918655) replaced (169.27|99.00|268.27)
    5. Bushing (p/n 22980140) replaced (185.40|308.00|493.40) - Noise when accelerating (I didn't notice this but they did and repaired it)
    6. Checked recall 15035 (see other posts)
    7. Oil Change (I have a 6 for $199 plan)
    8. Two-Wheel Alignment (99.95)

Total Cost (865.71|1043.90|1909.61)

Cost after my Hendrick Autogaurd Extended Service Contract and Oil Change Contract kicked in: $100.00

Lesson: If you have a vehicle that only has OEM parts, Service Contracts are quite helpful.
    Last edited by Jonathannm; 13 March 2015 at 01:39.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '11 9-4X Aero, '07 9-3 Aero Conv, had 9-3 Conv (99) 9000 (86)
    The struts mounts they replaced, were they the same ones as the previous or with a new plastic?
    I asked my dealer in Maywood NJ to research that, cause Cadillac had same issue, and they replace those mounts with they ones that will not make the scrubbing noise, some new plastic that takes the cold.
    (funny fact --> I noticed when I was in Canada last month for a few days, it was -25C outside, and the mounts did not make any noise when I was turning the steering wheal. The car was outside all the time. Here in NJ I keep it in heated garage, so it only makes noise when it cools off outside. I guess maybe after the temp change it will make noise)
    The rear tail light, I bough one from them, and installed it myself, it's only 2 screws. And no one can do a better job!!! I did it with love! lol