Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

View Poll Results: Saab model naming - what should be used?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the current (9-3, 9-5 etc)

8 88.89%
  • Numeric name from the past (900/9000 or 93,95,96 etc)

1 11.11%
  • Numeric name but new system

0 0%
  • Alpha names (Sonett, Phoenix etc)

0 0%
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Saab model naming

There is a discussion on Inside Saab about the naming convention for their models. I thought it would be interesting to do the same here on SW and see what you think.

My thoughts are the current naming is just fine. Don't mess with a good thing and confuse customers with new names. And re-naming an existing model is even more confusing (like they did with the NG900/9-3). 9-3, 9-4, 9-5 is easy to say as well. 93/95/96 and 900/9000 is the past.

I hope they'll use 9-1 for the new small Saab and not 9-2. Keep the odd numbers for the cars and even numbers for crossovers or other models.

Drop the X on the 9-4X and just name it 9-4. We know it is a X-over vehicle but you don't go naming the 9-3 a 9-3C (Car) either. Rename the 9-3X because it isn't really a crossover.

And bring back Linear, Arc and Vector for the US models. There currently is:

9-3: Turbo4 and Aero.
    9-5: Turbo4, Turbo4 Premium, Turbo6 XWD and Aero.
    9-4X: 3.0i, Premium and Aero.

There is not much consistency between the models at all.

And last but not least.. establish official naming to designate the model generations like BMW (E28 etc) and Mercedes (W124 etc). I often see OG (Old Generation) and NG (New Generation) being used but that doesn't really work for the long term.

Saab(s)
    2002 9 5 Aero
    I like the present naming. 9 5, 9 3, etc is a particular way to name the models, but if they were to change it and go for names instead of numbers, I´d like to see them as Griffin, Viggen, Sonnett and Aero, which even not being a proper name like the others two (and being at present a certain level and not a model), is still so SAABish I would not like it to be lost. Definitely Swedish names.

But I would prefer SAAB to stick to the present naming.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    SAAB has been using a naming convention starting with 9 since they started making cars. The few cars that didn't have a number with a 9 but a name were special, sporty cars (Sonett, Monte Carlo, GT750), or concepts (Aero-X, Phoenix, Katherina, etc). Making their prodution cars with a 9 is as SAAB-like as the ignition between the seats, the aerospace inspired design or its turbocharged engines. Why change their DNA? SAAB does not need to change the brand's DNA, just needs to shed the GM DNA.

I say keep the 9 for all cars. Either continue with the dash but use odd number for cars and wagons, even numbers for crossovers/SUVs, etc.

My SAAB line up:

9-1: subcompact, Mini-sized car
    9-2: small crossover, RAV4 sized
    9-3: medium/large sedan (same as now)
    9-4: medium/full size crossover (same as now)
    9-5: large sedan (same as now)
    9-6: open for an offroader, truck, or minivan (yes, not SAAB territory, but I'd leave that number opened for such a vehicle)
    9-7: large luxury/executive sedan (think 7-series, or S-Class size vehicle)

Make a small, lightweight, two-seater, open top sports car, Miata sized, call it the Sonett IV.

Make a medium sized, state of the art 2+2 sports car, 2.0 turbo or V6 turbo, call it the Aero.

The 9-1 and 9-3 should have wagon version, call the SportCombi or SC for short. They should also have an open top version (at least the 9-3 shoudl as it already does).

Make all-wheel drive versions the X versions.

Make a sports division much like BMW's M, call it the SPG, or SPV.

Imagine a SAAB 9-3X SC SPG.... a 300+ hp, all wheel drive wagon... yummy.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I'd like them to just make it consistent, whatever it is. Drop the X in the names, it's just a waste. The 9-3x really isn't a different model, just a 9-3 SC with AWD, some extra clearance and some plastic bits, and people are smart enough to figure out the 9-4X is a crossover/SUV.

But generally, as far as models go, I'd like:
    9-1: A VW Golf/Mazda 3/Volvo C30 competitor, with a performance (GTI/Speed3) option. Maybe even AWD and stick shift!
    9-2: Think VW Tiguan/Rav4 Competitor
    9-3: What it currently is, but cheaper and newer
    9-4: What is currently is, without the X
    9-5: Keep the same, but make it cheaper!
    9-7: Cheaper alternative to 7-series/S-class
    Sonett/Viggen/whatever you want to call it: A small sports coupe. Something like an Audi TT or a Mazda MX-5/Honda S2000

My main feeling on Saab is that they want too much money (maybe because they cost too much to make) for what their product is. I just drove by a Saab dealer, went through the lot, and was stunned that they want 39k for the lowest 9-5. I feel they could start to transition into the gap VW is leaving and many American cars are starting to fill (quality/materials). VW used to be a sporty, quality car for less than what Mercedes and BMW put out. Saab has recently been a slightly cheaper alternative to other Euro cars, but the car's quality gap was bigger than the price gap. There has to be a way to offer a great car, for a cheaper price. How does Mazda do it? How does (did?) VW do it? How does Toyota (blandly) do it? Yes, they are all bigger than Saab, but Saab should be able to come up with something that is even close.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    I'd like them to just make it consistent, whatever it is. Drop the X in the names, it's just a waste. The 9-3x really isn't a different model, just a 9-3 SC with AWD, some extra clearance and some plastic bits, and people are smart enough to figure out the 9-4X is a crossover/SUV.
    I think the "X" is useful as a mark for the all wheel drive cars. If it's front wheel drive it has nothing, if it has all wheel drive it has an X. If it has rear wheel drive it's not a SAAB (well, maybe this SAAB...).

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    The X has been used for:

XWD cars (Turbo X)
    AWD cars (9-2X)
    SUVs with AWD (9-7X)
    Crossovers with FWD and XWD (9-4X)
    Concept cars (Aero X)

Drop the X altogether, it has been misused.