Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Add aftermarket navi to 9-5 with tech?

Is there any point in getting a 2011 9-5 with the tech package (and head up display) without the navigation option and *later* adding aftermarket navigation?

I'm asking this because it appears the Saab navi is tightly integrated with the head up display, which won't be the case with an aftermarket unit. Am I correct here? What other functionality would be gone with aftermarket navi?

I'm torn because aftermarket navi units tend to have more recent features and will certainly get map updates that may never happen with the Saab navis.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    My 9-4X (and I assume the 9-5 is the same) showed settings for the climate control (temperature setting and I think fan speed) in the head unit display. That's something you will also loose when you install aftermarket nav. The head unit display is also used for making changes to settings for the head unit and a few other functions. I can't remember the exact details but current 9-5 owners may be able to provide more info.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-5 and 2004 9-3
    I just purchased a 2011 9-5 with tech package and navigation. Turn by turn instructions appear in the heads up display. I have read that the navigation unit is a GM unit and is used in some Cadillacs. The 9-5 owner's manual has info on ordering map updates from GM. Hope this helps.

Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium, 2010 9-5 Aero, 2008 TurboX SC
    Quote Originally Posted by vip007 View Post
    Is there any point in getting a 2011 9-5 with the tech package (and head up display) without the navigation option and *later* adding aftermarket navigation?

I'm asking this because it appears the Saab navi is tightly integrated with the head up display, which won't be the case with an aftermarket unit. Am I correct here? What other functionality would be gone with aftermarket navi?

I'm torn because aftermarket navi units tend to have more recent features and will certainly get map updates that may never happen with the Saab navis.
    I did not know you could get tech package without navigation. I knew you could get nav, no tech, but not the other way around as they are so integrated. Who is selling one like that?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Tech package, nav system and H/K Premium Sound are all individual options.

Technology Package $2,490
    Includes head-up display, lane departure warning, Advanced Park Assist, Bi-Xenon headlamps and automatic headlamp leveling system.

Harmon/Kardon Premium Surround Sound Audio $995
    11-speaker audio system with 5.1 surround sound capability

Audio System with Navigation $2,395
    AM/FM/XM stereo, single CD/DVD player, 40GB Hard Drive Device, MP3 playback, HDD-based navigation, rear-seat entertainment compatible, rear-seat audio compatible, iPOD support with digital streaming, and voice recognition

Aero Technology Package $1,695
    Includes head-up display, lane departure warning and Advanced Park Assist.

http://saabworld.net/f100/2011-saab-...tions-usa-733/

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-5 and 2004 9-3
    One issue I have with the Saab navigation system is that you apparently cannot use it without the radio being on. In order to avoid the radio you need to mute the speakers. This is at times frustrating but the integrated look of the unit in the dash is great.

Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium, 2010 9-5 Aero, 2008 TurboX SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Tech package, nav system and H/K Premium Sound are all individual options.

Technology Package $2,490
    Includes head-up display, lane departure warning, Advanced Park Assist, Bi-Xenon headlamps and automatic headlamp leveling system.

Harmon/Kardon Premium Surround Sound Audio $995
    11-speaker audio system with 5.1 surround sound capability

Audio System with Navigation $2,395
    AM/FM/XM stereo, single CD/DVD player, 40GB Hard Drive Device, MP3 playback, HDD-based navigation, rear-seat entertainment compatible, rear-seat audio compatible, iPOD support with digital streaming, and voice recognition

Aero Technology Package $1,695
    Includes head-up display, lane departure warning and Advanced Park Assist.

http://saabworld.net/f100/2011-saab-...tions-usa-733/
    I knew they were individual options ... I was trying to say that I thought you had to have the nav get the tech. I certainly haven't seen any configured with tech but no nav. I wonder how many were built that way.

Saab(s)
    9-5 NG Turbo4 Biopower Vector 2011 Java Brown | 1983 900Turbo8 Amaranth Red
    Kicking this topic. Anybody experience with upgrading the standard radio unit to an aftermarket nav unit (f.e. Android based? I have seen threads in social media groups on conversion of original NAV --> to Android NAV units, which seem to go fine. Can't get my finger on it whether the radio to NAV conversion would work.

In this potential case there is also a HUD involved, but I would be OK if not getting NAV integration there. My main concern is whether the wires and connectors are prepared for such a radio to NAV conversion.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    The problem you will have is that the screen is used for not only navigation but entertainment, vehicle configuration and climate control information display. The Head-Up display shows next turn and distance to next turn as well as a preview of the next turn when the previous one is completed but only with the OEM navigation system.

Replacing the OEM display with a third party entertainment/nav system is likely to result in considerable complexity and may result in the loss of some functionality.

Saab(s)
    9-5 NG Turbo4 Biopower Vector 2011 Java Brown | 1983 900Turbo8 Amaranth Red
    Yes, that is what I figured as well after reading on the web about a few self-mod exercises. I wouldn't mind losing (or not having) a few options, but I am not so keen anymore on opening just about the whole dash and all the DIY work. Have had my share of fun in the past with my 99 and 900's. Bit done with that for the time being. Found an excellent top equipped Vector. Will pick it up in a few days. If all goes well. Fingers crossed until then.