Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Thumbs Up:   132

Muller wanted to drop the Saab griffin and return to airplane logo

Just-Auto published an article about Muller saying he wanted to drop the griffin logo before Scania objected the use by NEVS.

This is not really 'new' news in itself because we already saw the move of the Saab word-mark more prominently displayed on cars. The Griffin logo was already missing on the steering wheel and the rear of the newer models. The Saab websites didn't show the griffin either. However, it was still showing on wheels and the hood of the cars so it wasn't entirely missing either.

We saw the airplane logo return on the Saab PhoeniX concept car so using the airplane logo doesn't come as a surprise.

"I wanted to abolish the Griffin logo - I wanted to go back to the aeroplane logo," Muller told just-auto. It [Griffin] was a logo of Scania and Saab AB - it did not say anything. "It [aircraft symbol] was beautiful - it was going to replace the Griffin everywhere."
    I think the griffin logo always suited the brand very well and gave it some visual identification. What do you think? Glad to see the griffin gone or do you miss it?

The good news is at least some of us are not the only ones who don't really understand the future of NEVS and Saab as a brand and car company.

Muller said he wished NEVS "all the luck in the world" although added cryptically: "I don't understand their business model but who am I?"
    Read the article: Muller wanted to drop Saab Griffin logo

The airplane logo in the Saab PhoeniX interior:

Griffins on the wheels and hood of the 2012 Saab 9-3 Griffin

0 Not allowed!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I like the way the Peugeot lion is prominently displayed on the hood or in the grille. I think that would look great with the griffin on Saabs as well.

0 Not allowed!

Shane
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t, 2006 9-3 Aero
    Thumbs Up:   0
    The Griffin was an eye-catching feature. I don't understand why they would go back to a plane, especially since the 2 divisions split years ago.

0 Not allowed!

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Thumbs Up:   2
    The griffin actually comes from the coat of arms of Skåne (or Scania), the Southermost province of Sweden, where Scania comes from. Coat of arms below:

Until 1969 when SAAB and Scania merged the griffin belonged to Scania only, and SAAB AB used the airplane logo on all its cars. It wasn't until 1974, I think, that SAAB used the griffin, on the famous SAAB Scania logo that adorned the cars, trucks, airplanes and everything else that SAAB Scania made.

SAAB Automobiles has been divorced from Scania for a while, and yet it continued to use the griffin because its most iconic modern cars, the 99 EMS Turbo, the 900 SPG/Aero, the 900 Cabrio, all had that symbol. The griffin ended up becoming a symbol that defined SAAB cars much like Ford's oval or Chevy's bowtie. Although SAAB is from Västra Götaland and its coast of arms has no griffin, it continued used Scania's symbol as its own due to recognition earned by the brand in the 70s/80s. (edit: take that back, the 99 didn't have the griffin, the first SAAB to use the griffin logo was the 900).

I have no problem with SAAB losing the griffin as a logo, especially if the aim of the owners is to go back to SAAB's origins. It's a moot point anyway, as it seems we won't see SAABs for sale for a long time, or perhaps forever, as much as I'd like to see a new SAAB on the road.

Perhaps SAAB should go to the airplane because of its roots, perhaps use a lion or a bull from Västra Götaland's coat of arms (above). Even better, however, would be to use a phoenix, which is on neither coat of arms. The mythical reborn bird would be a more fitting brand for SAAB if it manages to rise up again...

PS: Dana Motors of Billings, Montana, a former SAAB dealer, has cleverly used a Phoenix as their own logo, which is obviously a throwback to their origins as the first SAAB dealer west of the Mississippi:

0 Not allowed!
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I think they should come up with their own logo. Using the airplane image seems silly for an electric car. Something like this seems more appropriate.

Name:  Saab-NEVS-logo.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  8.0 KB

0 Not allowed!

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Thumbs Up:   2
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Using the airplane image seems silly for an electric car.
    Let's not forget what the first A in SAAB stands for...

Maybe they should change the name to SEAB: Svenska Elbil AktieBolag.

0 Not allowed!
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 convertible
    I didn't know Muller had already made moves to phase-out the griffin logo. It was rather gaudy compared to other European marks but SAAB cultivated a very different brand image regardless. Mercedes and Audi get by with no colors, BMW and Volvo just one; SAAB's griffin had three!

Though I like the airplane logo, messing with such a key element to your brand's identity is very dangerous. Following all the controversial changes GM had made to SAAB, perhaps the time would have been right to make a clean break and re-introduce the airplane to help cleanse everyone's memory of the recent past?

0 Not allowed!
    [FONT=verdana]Never met a SAAB I didn't like. [/FONT]

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Thumbs Up:   1
    I was always envious of emblems of car companies like Audi and Mercedes. The logos weren't a big "H" (Honda) or just a fancy script of the name (Ford and others). They were symbols that came to mean high quality cars that people desired. They symbols themselves had little to do with cars, yet had grown to be leading symbols in the car industry.

0 Not allowed!
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    I remember quite well before the whole Muller and Antonov mess erupted that SAAB marketing had announced they intended to drop not only the Griffin but the "Bjorn From Jets" themes as being symbols of aggression that they wanted to divorce themselves of to more represent their market segment of "school-marm", over edumucated, tree huggers. They were aiming for the more sensitive and non-performance oriented market segment. I had a number of posts on this back then and in tongue in cheek humor used to chuckle because it was quite true. That was when we saw the ads with the little falling leaf and such, that appealed to the intellect. Sad but true, the market dictates (like the GM decision to pull the plug on performance in the late 60's and get out of racing), and though we (at least most here), will miss cars like the TX and herald it as the last hurrah, Saab was in a rough spot.

I would have loved to have seen SAAB stuff in the LS-1 and go toe-to-toe in that V-8 series along with the Holdens, Vectras and others .. the Speed Channel had a race every Sunday and I could hardly watch knowing "we" should have been in there.

0 Not allowed!
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Thumbs Up:   4
    Where's my electric Saab? lol I'd of been HAPPY to see anything as a logo with the continued production of Saab - I do like the old Airplane logo, and felt that when the logo lost the "Scania" designation they sort of went bland. I really like the large block lettering of SAAB on the last run of the cars - it would make it so the peeling emblem would never be a problem again!

0 Not allowed!
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com