Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Jon
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Aero

'07 9-5 Aero: Paddle shifters and steering wheel controls malfunction

Greetings all,

I'm new to Saab and new to the forum, but wanted to take the time search before posting a question. Found one thread, but didn't really answer provide an answer, so here goes:

The paddle shifters don't work at all when I have the car in Manual (or otherwise). This sucks primarily because that's the only way to shift with this model, otherwise I'd be more willing to just live with it. I've also noticed that the radio controls don't work consistently.

I have located a Saab technician locally, but would like some direction to point them in as vague diagnostics could be costly. If this is a common problem (short in a wire in the steering unit, replace a fuse or relay, etc.), I'd like to try those options first. I just need to know what to try!

If you've experienced this and/or can provide some direction, I'd appreciate it. Just saying hello would be awesome too!

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.8T V6 Turbo Convertible Aero

Most likely the clockspring is faulty from the symptoms you mention. Or wire short.
    Last edited by simpleaz; 10 October 2012 at 22:12.

Jon
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Aero
    Clockspring. I'll look into it. I was thinking a wire short too. Those can be so tricky though.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.8T V6 Turbo Convertible Aero

Maybe if no airbag fault then might not be clockspring?? Good luck though.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    There is often a harness which runs from the clock spring to the controls - it's the harness for the steering wheel - this often will fail and cause your symptoms. Also the HORN won't work right/often if this is bad too. It's all on the same harness.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Jon
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    There is often a harness which runs from the clock spring to the controls - it's the harness for the steering wheel - this often will fail and cause your symptoms. Also the HORN won't work right/often if this is bad too. It's all on the same harness.
    Ahhh...The horn does fault sometimes. Is this harness something I should scout the junkyards for or is this a Saab tech sort of problem? Either route all of these replies have been helpful in what I can ask for with the technician. The more specific I can be about what I want for him to check out, the less labor I have to pay for by the hour! Thanks for the responses guys.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Junkyard the part! Get the clock spring too just in case - you'll be in there anyways.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Jon
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Aero

Great! Now the fun part...

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    Junkyard the part! Get the clock spring too just in case - you'll be in there anyways.
    I don't mind diving in at the junkyard (after fudging around in there I might even be confident enough to install the part on my own Saab). For all of my domestic cars, I could pick up a Haynes repair manual and learn what tools I needed and even what I'm looking for once I'm in. I have no ideas what this harness and the clock spring look like. Is there a comparable manual that anyone would recommend so that I can go grab these pieces?

Jon
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Aero

Update

So I'm really thinking its the harness or a short somewhere in that assembly. Just recently I put it in "M" and of course, the paddles didn't work, but: the volume down button shifts down and blowing horn shifts up! The crazy thing is that it has been consistent. The horn blogs if I used the panic function on the keyfob, but does not blow by pushing the steering wheel buttons (in any gear).

Any chance that these were rewired intentionally? Is that possible or is it definitely a short?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero wagon
    I think the switches are bad,they are all in one I think.