Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

View Poll Results: Who do you vote for or think should be president?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Democrat - Barack Obama

9 75.00%
  • Republican - Mitt Romney

3 25.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    How I lost my "virginity", and trust. I was right out of the military, started school and there was a Congressional contest. I looked at the candidates and became a volunteer and worked my ass off for months, gut labor stuffing envelopes, putting up signs and a occasional "friendly" back room scotch with the incumbent, a man of the working class, a Democrat, Frank Thompson. A few years later I watched (tapes), of him accept "brown bags" stuffed with cash from two "Arab sheiks" in his bugged office. They spoke in (Pig-Arabic ) ....just made up gibberish, like pig Latin and he sucked it right up.

Our Dem Senator, Harrison Williams was busted too. It was called Abscam.

A few years later, my neighbor was getting married and it was a massive reception. There in the middle, fresh out of jail was Williams, fully embraced by the party (my neighbor ran for governor and lost), but it was a back slapping, gala, and there were others who did time. The mother of one told me to play nice, these are the people who can help you.

There are so few honest people in government, there are a few who wonder how I survived to retirement. If you wonder why I am negative, after 30 years, my "joy" in retirement is seeing many of them now doing time. It's very sad.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    I have seen the Frank Thompson bust video before, truly pathetic.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Quote Originally Posted by rpiereck View Post
    I think once again we're choosing the lesser of two evils, it's been this way for many elections. I don't particularly like either party, as some of my political views line up with Democrats, some line up with Republicans, so I can't commit one way or another. On the last election I voted for McCain, on this elections I will vote for Obama. And don't get me wrong, I don't think Obama is a great President, but I believe Romney will be worse.
    Voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for an evil. That's just my opinion, and a horrible result of America's two-party system. I like a few things about Obama, a few things about Romney, but I don't like either of them enough that I'll be voting for them. Personally, I'll be voting for Gary Johnson. Most people have never heard of him, but he's a 3rd party runner, and most of his views I agree on.
    Let's Get Gary on TV

Also, a lot of people say voting 3rd party is throwing away your vote, but at the very least, it shows what direction you want the government to head, and is hopefully it is reflected in things like district elections and such.

Any who, for anyone that is interested or unfamiliar with American politics, you can take this pole and it will tell you who you most agree with. Pretty nifty, and it actually showed Gary Johnson for me! I was expecting Ron Paul!
    Project Vote Smart?s VoteEasy ?
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post

Also, a lot of people say voting 3rd party is throwing away your vote, but at the very least, it shows what direction you want the government to head, and is hopefully it is reflected in things like district elections and such.
    If one is a Florida or Ohio voter, it is throwing away your vote. However, if one is in one of the 40-45 or so non-swing states, then a big 3rd party vote sends a message in the Presidential election.

Perhaps, there is too much consolidation in the U.S. Maybe it would be better if there were about 5 major political parties? In Canada, there are 3 major political parties on the federal level and two smaller ones that have a few MP's (Bloc and Greens).

Perhaps, we should form the Saab Party? ...and get about as many votes as new Saabs sold in 2012! Anyone want to start a Saab party platform? How about...
    1. Outlaw insurance companies from totaling Saabs if not too many body parts are damaged.
    2. Require GM supply a list of GM part numbers that can be used in a Saab.
    3. Lower the qualification threshold for food stamps for any owner of a defunct car brand, like Saab, Hummer, Mercury, Maybach, Saturn.
    4. Require that 9-3 key fobs be made and stocked by the U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve office....but keep them far away from the oil lest the key fob rubber start to decay.
    5. Create a cabinet level office, the Department of Saab Affairs (like the Dept. of Veterans Affairs), with Frank as the Secretary of Saab Affairs. Of course, the government provided car would be a......Saab! It couldn't be a Chevy.
    Last edited by Dave T; 13 October 2012 at 01:08.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0T SportCombi "Mattie"; On SAABatical: 1993 9000 CSE 2.3T "Matilda"
    Voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for an evil. That's just my opinion, and a horrible result of America's two-party system. I like a few things about Obama, a few things about Romney, but I don't like either of them enough that I'll be voting for them. Personally, I'll be voting for Gary Johnson. Most people have never heard of him, but he's a 3rd party runner, and most of his views I agree on.
    Let's Get Gary on TV

Any who, for anyone that is interested or unfamiliar with American politics, you can take this pole and it will tell you who you most agree with. Pretty nifty, and it actually showed Gary Johnson for me! I was expecting Ron Paul!
    This one's for you, Shazam.

And Dave ;-)

"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
    SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA (SCWC)

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    Why form a new party? Just have Christy Clark and the BC Liberals (not affiliated with the federal Liberals) move to the US after they get defeated by Skytrain fare evading Adrian Dix (he was caught riding without a ticket). Does Christy Clark resemble Sarah Palin? Not really? Ken, have a photo?

EDIT: No need...I found a photo...Practicing breaking a store front window with a hockey stick and smiling because that stuff in the storefront window will soon be yours!

Background (explaining some kidding): Ms. Clark is the equivalent of the state governor in British Columbia. She's widely expected to lose badly in the upcoming election to NDP's Adrian Dix. After last year's Stanley Cup loss, Vancouver fans rioted and looted stores.
    Last edited by Dave T; 13 October 2012 at 04:34.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0T SportCombi "Mattie"; On SAABatical: 1993 9000 CSE 2.3T "Matilda"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Why form a new party? Just have Christy Clark and the BC Liberals (not affiliated with the federal Liberals) move to the US after they get defeated by Skytrain fare evading Adrian Dix (he was caught riding without a ticket). Does Christy Clark resemble Sarah Palin? Not really? Ken, have a photo?
    Did you defect to the US at some point in your past, Dave ?
    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"
    SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA (SCWC)

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaabKen View Post
    Did you defect to the US at some point in your past, Dave ?
    I confess...they took me to Walmart, showed me the cheaper gas, cheese, and milk prices compared to Canada ...said this could all be mine. I resisted until they showed me the price of Saab parts in the U.S....then I could not refuse.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    I just did this and it gave me Obama as my best match candidate (75% similar), with Rocky Anderson behind (60%), then Jill Stein (47%). Romney was 40%, Gary Johnson 39% and Virgil Goode was so far back I couldn't read the percentage.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    That's an interesting test. Obama scores 84%, Rocky Anderson 76% and Romney 23% for me. And I have never heard of Mr. Anderson before. Well, it doesn't really matter because I am not allowed to vote anyways.

I think the US elections are flawed in many ways and there is too much emphasis on the person. It is important to have a strong, decisive leader but policies and decisions are often not made by a single person. And it is too black and white. Republican or Democratic. There are 12 political parties in the Dutch government, including a Party for Animals and 50+ Party. There are even more smaller parties in local government.

I also think many voters don't really know what they are voting or are completely understanding the issues at hand. I consider myself reasonably intelligent and educated and I often have no idea what's going on in world politics. For some issues, you must be an international or economic Some may just that one political debate on TV and based their vote on that.

Some may go to the voters booth and decide the last minute based on how they feel that morning and how the presidential candidate looks like. And let's not forget the race issue. How many people won't vote for Obama just because he is black? I understand democracy is based on voting by all citizens but I wonder if the country would be better off if decision for government are made by highly educated and knowledgeable people instead of the average Joe or Jane Shmoe.

When it is time for elections, the United States are not very united anymore. This is a good discussion so far, keep it going.