Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v

Let's talk about shocks

As far as shocks for the C900, for a sports suspension the obvious choice would be Bilstein B6 shocks, which first of all seem to be back ordered everywhere.

My C900 being a non turbo 8 valve car has no dreams of being a sports car, no matter how hard I push it, so I am looking at more run of the mill shocks.

Local parts supplier Skandix offers Sachs and KYB. KYBs are cheaper and, if I remember correctly from my VW days, not as good. Sachs are apparently the OEM supplier to SAAB (my 9-5 Aero has them with SAAB labels), but their are noisy, with prominent sucking and squishing sounds.

Rock Auto shows real cheap Monroe (which I always called MonNO!), at ten bucks a shock. Any good? I don't know. Also Sensen (never heard of the brand) and KYB. Rock Auto has the KYB Gas-A-Just "sports" shocks.

So what is the consensus on shocks for the C900? Go with Sachs? Or KYB?
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Threepwood had KYB GR2's Very soft. Would go with Gas adjust if you go KYB.
    If you go with the Bilstein's you can carry more of your speed into the corners counteracting the lack of torque :p) ... slightly

Edward G
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    T5.5 84 900T8
    Quote Originally Posted by jskrebs View Post
    Threepwood had KYB GR2's Very soft. Would go with Gas adjust if you go KYB.
    If you go with the Bilstein's you can carry more of your speed into the corners counteracting the lack of torque :p) ... slightly
    KYB doesn't even compare with the Sachs originals, even worn ones are better than any Gas shock I've come across in terms of rebound damping.

The rise rate on my original Sachs shocks is SLOWER than the rise rate of a set of koni adjustables I have... I put the konis on because they're firmer that's all!

Sachs are damn good, how sure are you its your shocks that are gone anyway? If you compress the chassis over the wheel and it doesn't bounce it's good.

Trust me, I've been there and done that (removing my old Sachs shocks and replacing them with new gas ones, I went back to the Sachs because the new ones are plain and simply absolute RUBBISH.

BTW you can always transplant a 16v turbo motor into your car, it's your car, you can keep it stock or you can hot it up, so don't diss yourself you have the recipe for a perfect sports car (c900 chassis and great looking exterior/interior) all you need is an extra ingredient (engine and wiring loom) to hot it up! so don't discount your future plans however crazy they may seem now