Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saab(s)
    2002 convertible

Thumbs down Troublesome top on 2002 convertible

Hi gang,

I haven't had to post before as I have always found the answers to any problems I have come across when working on my wife's 2002 93 2002 convertible on this website. (A big thank you to anybody who has ever taken the time to post by giving information and advice). However, a problem has occurred that leaves me scratching my head and wondering if anybody can help me with.
    When I try to get the hood to lower it goes through all the correct motions until the hood is pointing skywards and then everything stops. It isn't a problem that slowly came on and I didn't hear anything unusual prior that would make me think that there was an impending problem looming. it was like, it worked one minute and then stopped the next. to date, and after reading suggestion in these forums, I have checked the hydraulic pump behind the read seat, (everything looks good there. no signs of leaks and the reservoir is where it should be) I have made sure the storage bag is smoothed out, I have checked that the windows are closed. I have disconnected the battery and connected it again. I have checked the fuses. I think that is about it.
    At no time during the hood operation do I get messages on the SSID and again I get no strange noises anywhere, with the exception of a slight clicking at the start of the lowering operation from somewhere on the passenger side (opposite side to you guys in the USofA) behind the seat or from within the rear panel.
    I would just like to know if i am missing something, or is it a 'straight to the workshop' type of problem.
    Myself, I am pretty handy with a spanner, or electrical meter, so I always like to try and sort things out first. (I am pretty stubborn on problems like this too and hate to admit defeat!)
    Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks guys.

Saab(s)
    2002 convertible
    Just a quick update to my problem with the roof not going down properly, as described above. I continued to search for answers on the internet and I read where someone suggested spraying the joints with silicon. I did this out of some sort of desperation and after much playing around I found that if, when I try and lower the roof, I push the very front (the bit that sits on the windshield) upwards it opens up the first pivot point, above the drivers head, and then the top continues to go all the way down. It has no problem going up once it is down. I am thinking that there may be some sort of solenoid or limit switch that isn't activating properly, or making contact when it should. Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas that I can try out as whilst my wife is happy that it goes down, she isn't too impressed that she has to push the roof to help it on it's way down.

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    This is kind of the problem that I am having. I've asked with no good answers. I've searched the internet and not really found anything. Out of desperation, I changed the hydraulic oil, didn't help. The guys at Bethesda Saab said I might have air bubbles in my bydraulic lines. I don't think so. But I am almost to the point where I am just going to take it to the shop.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    There is quite a bit of information on the convertible top system in the WIS, one of them an overview with common problems.

Name:  saab-9-3-soft-top-wis.gif
Views: 627
Size:  19.1 KB

Name:  saab-9-3-soft-top-faults.gif
Views: 645
Size:  40.3 KB

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero wagon

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero wagon
    ...any more info?

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 Convertible
    Thanks Frank - it is the 5th bow that I am having problems with. It won't lift up all the way on its own during opening, but it will lower itself. It has the range of movement, no problem. I just have to lift it during opening and then power off the car during closing so that it will come down all the way. As I said, I'm thinking I do not have any bubbles in the lines. Could be that grounding issue.... #2 from the top of your chart.

thanks and have a great turkey day!

Saab(s)
    2002 convertible
    Hey Frank, thanks for posting the table of faults. It has certainly given me a couple of things that I will check out at the weekend. The one item I am heading towards is to bleed the system. I know the emergency valve is closed but I will also revisit the valve and double check that it is closed off properly from when I checked the oil. I will do a search in the forum to see if the instructions for doing this are posted anywhere. Sorry for the delay in replying but it is heading into summer here and I have had other household chores to fill my weekends. This week though I am free to get back to the Saab. I will let you know how I get on. Once again, my thanks for going to the trouble of replying to my problem.

Tom
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-3 SE Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    There is quite a bit of information on the convertible top system in the WIS, one of them an overview with common problems.

Name:  saab-9-3-soft-top-wis.gif
Views: 627
Size:  19.1 KB

Name:  saab-9-3-soft-top-faults.gif
Views: 645
Size:  40.3 KB
    Where can I find this? TIA

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    All information is available in the Workshop Information System from Saab. It's software that can be installed on PC. You can usually find the install discs on eBay.