Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Service Rear Axle

I was getting a "service rear axle" message -- took it to the dealer; they didn't have any information, but checked and added some fluid.

Looking around on with google, I found a SRX service bulletin that indicated this message can be "caused by an internal filter" -- I'm figuring that changing some of my fluid probably fixed the problem.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 Saab 9-4X Aero
    XWD Maintenance probably should be done every 15 to 30k miles, forgot the interval but I may get mine done soon as well.

I don't know that it's the exact same rear axle that's in the SRX, but we've done a ton of these on the SRX, and keep a kit in stock to fix it.

PI0703A: Service Rear Message Displayed on Driver Information Center (DIC), DTC C0407 with Symptom Code 64 or C0403 with Symptom Code 62 Set - (Jun 6, 2012)

DTC C0403 Symptom 62:

The DTC C0403 symptom 62 may be set due to a concern with the torque transfer device (TTD) internal filter. To obtain a filter kit that will include a filter and gasket, please order parts currently available and listed in the parts section of this communication. Refer to the Differential Clutch Oil Filter Replacement procedure in SI.
    DTC C0407 Symptom 64:

Important: The single biggest cause of a C0407 symptom 64 is low eLSD clutch fluid. Low eLSD clutch fluid may be caused by improper filling of the eLSD clutch, an internal piston seal leak or a leak at the pump cover gasket. The eLSD clutch MUST be filled with 140 ml (0.15 qts) of eLSD clutch fluid through the vent fitting opening in the TTD clutch cover and NOT the TTD clutch cover plug. For internal piston seal leaks, it is not necessary to replace the complete eLSD clutch assembly or the complete rear differential. The C0407.64 code is set when the fluid is low in the TTD clutch. There are several conditions that can cause the eLSD clutch to be low on fluid:
    External leakages on the eLSD and TTD clutch (see Section I in this bulletin).

Electronic limited slip eLSD clutch oil leaking into the rear differential through the electronic limited slip eLSD clutch piston seals (see Section II in this bulletin).

Improper filling of the TTD clutch during the eLSD and TTD clutch filter/gasket service or pump replacement (see Section III in this bulletin).
    Important: Replacing the control module or module kit WILL NOT correct this condition. Removing the control module and valve will purge some of the air from the pump motor cavity, which will give a false condition that a new control module was the correct repair.