Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Jeremy H.
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1986 900 S 16v N/A

Power Steering Problem

My PS was intermittent, especially when first started. It got better after I drove it a bit. I decided it probably had never been flushed, so I flushed the power steering completely and replaced the black muck with fresh fluid.I spent the $ and used the Pentosin 7.1 Now the problem...it is still stiff when I first start out and will not work at all when just sitting still and idling. If i'm not giving it any gas then it doesn't work. Is this a common problem, is my rack shot, a loose belt, or am I missing something? Since it is an 86' with 200k, should I just replace the whole system (pump and all the lines, etc)? Thanks for your help!!

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    Are you really sure the PS belt is not slack? Check it to eliminate that possibility.

Jeremy H.
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1986 900 S 16v N/A
    Peva, thanks for the reply! Yes, I checked it and it seems fine...not slack or anything. I have a new one that I am going to throw on with all the other belts when I fix the oil leak at the crankshaft pulley/oil pump area. Like i say, its mostly fine when driving or foot on accelertor, but not working when stopped at idle or first thing upon start up. I'm just worried it may be the rack that I see people comment on quite often. Trying to eliminate the cheaper options first before jumping to to yet another several hundred dollar job.