Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5

Removing upper hose from oil trap 2005 9-5

Hey folks - any idea how I remove the upper hoses from the oil trap on my 2005 9-5? They have grey clips and I can't figure out if I should push them in, pull them out or turn them.....and I don't want to damage them. It's the top right of the attached photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero wagon
    Ah yes the fun one, they push in. get one from the top and one from the bottom, you can reach it from the top reach way under the intake. Best done cold.:-) Use a lond flat blade screwdriver at the top and when it comes loose pry it off slowly. Them when reinstall, use oil or ?? type lube. Not too bad a job after @ 50 or so...lol.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5
    Super. Thx! Can I hit you up with another one? The car is leaking/seeping oil from a number of places it seems, including the bottom of the oil trap. I am hoping this is indicative of a PCV problem and not a need to replace lots of gaskets. Seem reasonable? I have already determined that the white check-valve between the throttle body and valve cover gasket has gone bad. Would that alone cause the car to leak oil?

Many thx.

Rob
    Sterling, VA

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero wagon
    If you have had that hose broken for a bit ,you will see "leaks" the orings at the box,were it goes into the block will leak too. when the valve goes bad,i breaks or opens up no venting is done, will leak alot if it isnt broke but open, it pressures the CC!.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5
    Sounds like I should replace the check valve pronto!

Thanks again.

Rob

Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 ARC
    I am having a problem getting the new one on. I have tried oil, grease and more oil. I can't get it to clip in. it is on about 1 inch, up to the ring that it clips on to. Is that 'good enough"? Thanks
    Last edited by Pali7; 29 November 2013 at 19:21.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5
    Sorry for the obvious question, but have you squeezed the grey clips on the sides as you pushed it in?

Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 ARC
    Yup, I have squeezed, pushed and pulled. I used a long phillips screw driver to push on the top side while my have pushed from the underside. It looks like the beveled grey part should slip over the ridge, but no luck. I am thinking about buying another in case the parts is off center enough that it is causing problems. I have also thought about using the old connector, cutting the hose and splicing the new one to it.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    There is a trick! Don't squeeze so hard! If you do the parts you are squeezing will get in the way inside. Take a look at it when squeezing and you will see what I mean.
    It's just a PITA to get on. Try it from on top reaching under the intake from above the alternator. If you've allready tried that.... Try it from the bottom again.
    I had hard time with mine too.
    To put it on last few times I just pushed with no squeezing. I couldn't get it from the top but could from the bottom.. . Makes no sense but that's how it goes.

Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 ARC
    Thanks, for the encouragement. I will try less force. I have tried to center it, it appears to want to go off center, but then again so do I. Thanks again.