Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 Aero 2.8 V6 Turbo Sedan

AMP1 mystery - no sound on doors or centre, O-Bus and other audio working ok

I want to throw this issue out to the forum before sending the car in for diagnostics.
    Its a 2006 Aero Sedan with a Prestige 300 13 speaker non-navigation ICM and 6 CD front loader.

The issue I have is that the under seat AMP1 doesn't produce any sound to the doors or the center dash speakers. This has only recently happened after leaving the car with a auto electrician to get the HID Ballasts replaced. When I got it back from them, the unit was dysfunctional.

The O-Bus seems to be intact as the rear speakers, front dash left and right speakers together with all audio/radio/cd components are functioning correctly. The indicators are audible together with all other start-up and safety sounds made by the car.

What I do hear from the door speakers is a pop every 20 seconds or so. Like a burst of DC voltage being sent to them - and that is all.

Has anyone experienced this before? Usually when AMP1 blows the O-Bus link is broken and kills the whole system and the fiber optic needs a manual bypass - but this is not the case with me. Everything else works.

Could the Auto electricians (non-Saab) have damaged the ICM or corrupted some of the operation or error logic to knock AMP1 out of the loop?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero wagon
    or he blew the speakers. ?? try a reboot and see if they work. Those amps arent the best, do go bad.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    03' 9-3 SS Linear--gone, 06' 9-3 SC Aero--gone, 09' 9-3 SS Aero Auto--yeah
    Well the AMP 1 is a common failure. I don't think at all that it blows the whole fiber optic system as many people have replaced the AMP 1 without any issues. Mine went on my '03 and replaced under warranty and all was fine. I believe there "radio rebuilders" that can repair or rebuild your unit for a reasonable price.

Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-3 SportCombi
    I had the popping sound with my 2006 9-3 Aero SC. Sometimes it would elevate into a loud static like noise. I had the unit rebuilt by saabradio.com.

The rebuilt unit works fine.