Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    none

Newbie... looking at first SAAB

Hi gang!! Brand new to SAAB, but not to buying used cars.

Looking at...

1999 9-5 Aero 5-speed.... salvaged title , but completely rebuilt from front end collision. The repair is done well.

possibly have a line on a 1999 9-3 Convertible with 94k.... but the top won't fold automatically, only manually.

What are the SAAB secrets??? What do I really need to pay attention to? It is from the Washington state area. Rust issues? Common problems?

I am searching also... I know what to look for as far as leaks and general problems.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Hello and welcome to SaabWorld.

Check out the http://saabworld.net/f9/saab-9-5-buyers-guide-693/ for more information about what to look for when buying a used 9-5.

Saabs are pretty resistant to corrosion but a 13-year old car needs a close inspection. Engine sludge will be the number one priority to check for. Be careful when buying a cheap old Saab, especially one with a salvage title. You can often spend more on repairs than the purchase price, especially when you can't do most of it yourself.

Saab secrets? Once you get addicted to these cars, it is nearly impossible to kick the habit. Good luck!

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    9000CSE, 9-3 Aero Convertible, 9-5 HOT Aero
    Walk away from the front end repaired one!
    Must be plenty of decent 'non-accident' around looking for a good home. Look for ones with good service history and avoid the neglected ones with no history. If you are not familiar with car mechanics, get a decent one from a reputable dealer which will come with some warranty.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Truth is Saab prices are down, whether we Saab owners like it or not. We like it when we want to buy our next Saab, we hate it when it comes to sell the current one. That being said, if you look around and are willing and able wait a bit you might find one without front end collision history for a good price.

Like Frank said, sludge in the engines is the #1 concern and the biggest killer for these cars. Other than that they are solid, comfortable, fast, deliver decent gas mileage, and are able to put a grin ear to ear on your face faster than you can spell Trollhattan.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Saab(s)
    none
    These cars were "by chance" cars for me to look at. I am not really in the market for a SAAB, but would seriously look at them if they showed to be worth owning, unlike the 1995 BMW 525i we have.

I figured the Aero would be a fun car for the family, but I guess if nobody is really singing the praises about the car then I'll have to continue looking. The prices would be great I think. Either would be an even trade for the BMW.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Don't get us wrong, the 9-5 Aero is an excellent car, I'm sure everybody else will agree. What we're concerned about is the salvage title. You can never know for sure how well the repair was done unless you drive it for a while. You test drive the car today and it feels good because you are excited about a new car and overlook small things that will pop up later. A month or two later you notice doors that don't quite close right, the car wanders on a straight road, maybe wobbles at high speed, etc.

I bought a salvaged Subaru Loyale wagon before but I paid $500 for it, and used it like a pick up truck to haul wood and as a winter beater. All those symptoms I outlined above (body panels, wandering, wobbling) were present on that car. However, at that price I didn't care about the salvaged title, but I would have cared if it was a more expensive car.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    I would like to caution you on the 9-5 ... there is no "Aero" model for 1999. Anyone suggesting otherwise is feeding you a line.

I have a 2004 9-4 Aero SportCombi for sale if you are interested ... and it is a REAL Aero! ;-)
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca

Saab(s)
    none
    It's probably a 2000 production model, but the build date I believe is 2/1999. And I'm not coming out of pocket for this trade.