Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    That 900 is pretty! I notice it has two electric fans, I thought only the Turbos had two fans, the n/a C900s usually have only one fan. Someone perhaps did a retrofit?
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpiereck View Post
    That 900 is pretty! I notice it has two electric fans, I thought only the Turbos had two fans, the n/a C900s usually have only one fan. Someone perhaps did a retrofit?
    I can't remember but I think my 1990 900 had two fans. It was a 16 valve, non-turbo. At the time, I thought that only rich people had turbos so I was thrilled when my 2005 9-3 had a turbo. I finally became rich! ...and the 9-3 had alloy wheels and a leather shifter cover. I felt triple rich because these were all things that I envied but didn't have in my 900!

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Nevermind, yours is 16v non turbo. The 8v non turbos (like mine) only have one fan.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    3x900 SPG + 9-3SS Aero Hirsch
    If you still original wiring in the car the front speakers are controlled by the stereo and the rear speakers from the amplifier under the passenger seat! That could maybe explain why only one pair is working, but it would be more likely that only the front speakers work if you put in a aftermarket stereo.

Also, the dual fan is on all cars with Air Condition, on cars without you only have one fan.

BR,
    Henrik
    Last edited by henrikg; 29 November 2012 at 12:37.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    As far as audio goes, I wouldn't bother with a separate subwoofer unless you find that the aftermarket speakers (I'm assuming you'll be getting some) don't provide enough bass. If you get a decent set, you should have no need for a separate sub.

As far as your headunit goes, I'm not audiopile, but it looks like a good choice. I've got a JVC somthin-or-other that I haven't had troubles with. It's got iPod hook up and a USB port I can use to charge stuff or play music from a flashdrive.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    84 T8
    I went with Scott to look at the car and can attest that it's certainly one of the cleanest I've seen in these parts...aka The Land of Rust. It took a long time, but we've finally got Scott in a proper Saab.

Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    So, first tank full of fuel gave me a 9.36L/100km average ... thoughts?

Is this good, bad, or ... average?
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    That's 25 mpg, doesn't sound too bad at all for an older car. But I don't know what is average for the 900.

There is one 900 in the Garage that gets 8.7L/100km. SaabWorld - Saab Garage

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaabScott View Post
    So, first tank full of fuel gave me a 9.36L/100km average ... thoughts?

Is this good, bad, or ... average?
    I think that is slightly better than average. Is that a 2.1-16V? I had a 1990 with a 2.0-16V.

Quote Originally Posted by SaabScott View Post
    I am looking for some audio suggestions ...
    It appears that only the speakers on the back deck are connected / operational.

I am also considering swapping out the aftermarket deck for a newer model.
    I am looking at the JVC KD-X50BT.
    Bluetooth and iPod connectivity are necessary.
    Possible future expansion with extra speakers / amps / sub are also something I am looking out for.
    In the 1980's and 90's, car radio theft was common. I had one stolen, along with a broken window. In the late 1980's, Saabs then came with a removable radio that one could pull out. The next generation 900's had a non-standard size to reduce the attractiveness of the radio. Perhaps you should consider a radio that slides out, if you can find one.

Quote Originally Posted by henrikg View Post
    If you still original wiring in the car the front speakers are controlled by the stereo and the rear speakers from the amplifier under the passenger seat! That could maybe explain why only one pair is working, but it would be more likely that only the front speakers work if you put in a aftermarket stereo.
    I never notice any amplifier under the passenger seat. My 900 had the same 4" speakers in the rear as the front. Some people put larger 4 x 10 or 6 x 9 speakers in the rear. In the 80's and 90's, Crutchfield was a well advertised seller of DIY radio installation. They had radios and installation kits. They now have a website.

Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    Dave T - it is a 2.1-16v, 5 speed manual.

I actually installed a JVC KD-R730BT on Saturday (the day I actually transferred it into my name). It has a removable faceplate and that works for me ... I don't need anything more.

I haven't checked for the amp under the passenger seat, but I do have 4" speakers in the front and 4" x 10" in the back. Those are the next things on my list of "driving comfort" stuff (very different list than maintenance or work to be done, which is growing longer as I drive it more).

I'm changing the oil and balancing the wheels on Saturday ... and giving the car a really good once (or twice) over while it is in the air, wheels off. Also have to check the parking brake as well ... it isn't working at all!

Beyond that, I know it needs ball joints and both companion flanges (looking for donor units to repair if anyone has any). Also on the list for (near) future work is transmission fluid ... although I'm sure a few other things will come to mind over time ...
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca