Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    84 T8
    Saab never stipulated an interval for transmission fluid change. Some later models never even had a drain plug. Some people obsess over it, but I've never once changed it and never once blown a transmission. I tend to think that some of our brothers are overly aggressive with their treatment of the transmission and do themselves in.
    An overall 25 isn't bad for fuel economy. I always do a full ignition tune up:plugs, cap, rotor, and bougicords. As well as air filter/oil change with new acquisitions. You could see some improvement after that.

Edward G
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    T5.5 84 900T8
    Quote Originally Posted by rpiereck View Post
    Nevermind, yours is 16v non turbo. The 8v non turbos (like mine) only have one fan.
    not so

all 8vs have 2 fans unless they came out of the factory without A/C

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    3x900 SPG + 9-3SS Aero Hirsch
    Quote Originally Posted by s900t8v View Post
    not so

all 8vs have 2 fans unless they came out of the factory without A/C
    Like i said earlier:

Cars with A/C => Two fans
    Cars without A/C => One fan

it has nothing to do with the engine.

BR,
    Henrik

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Well, it was just info I got elsewhere on the net that said 8v cars had one fan, 16v had two. Oops.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaabScott View Post
    the car came with and the audio manual is one of those things! I'll take a look at it and see if it could easily be scanned ...
    Hello! Have you had any luck/time scanning the manual?

Is the car is running fine?

BR,
    Henrik

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpiereck View Post
    Well, it was just info I got elsewhere on the net that said 8v cars had one fan, 16v had two. Oops.
    Ok, no worries :-)

Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    Quote Originally Posted by henrikg View Post
    Hello! Have you had any luck/time scanning the manual?

Is the car is running fine?

BR,
    Henrik

Sorry, no, I haven't had time to even consider doing that. Between regular activities and Christmas, I've also been interviewing (and preparing for those), so my time has been pretty limited.

Yes, the car is running well.
    It does need some TLC on the mechanical side and I am starting to collect the information (followed by the parts) I need to address this.
    First will be the companion flanges, all 4 ball joints, and outer CV boots. That should tighten the front end up really nicely and give me a smooth ride and acceleration back.
    Then it will be brakes ...

The underside of the car looks amazing ... even the rear brake lines (which are usually an issue) are still in great shape! Still holding their original colour even!
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca

Edward G
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    T5.5 84 900T8
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman View Post
    Saab never stipulated an interval for transmission fluid change. Some later models never even had a drain plug. Some people obsess over it, but I've never once changed it and never once blown a transmission. I tend to think that some of our brothers are overly aggressive with their treatment of the transmission and do themselves in.
    An overall 25 isn't bad for fuel economy. I always do a full ignition tune up:plugs, cap, rotor, and bougicords. As well as air filter/oil change with new acquisitions. You could see some improvement after that.
    Because you've never changed it you have no idea how filthy the oil is that comes out and how much grit and crap is in 25 year old oil, it's just recirculating, chewing up bearings and bearing surfaces, heating and cooling cycles as well as shear forces degrade oil, a degraded oil doesn't lubricate and doesn't provide a physical barrier between moving parts leading to wear of the case hardening on the gears.

Changing transmission oil is worthwhile in any transmission, and is much more relevant if it's rebuilt - to promote longevity.

Saab were absolutely retarded in their 'never change tranny oil' it was a choice they made I'm sure because too many people drained it and put the oil in the wrong dipstick (thus leaving either engine or gearbox dry) which was very expensive for Saab with cars in warranty.

Modern cars have transmission oil change schedules, most have either a mesh flow by filter + magnet filter or an actual filter (auto trannys)

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    Quote Originally Posted by s900t8v View Post
    Because you've never changed it you have no idea how filthy the oil is that comes out and how much grit and crap is in 25 year old oil, it's just recirculating, chewing up bearings and bearing surfaces, heating and cooling cycles as well as shear forces degrade oil, a degraded oil doesn't lubricate and doesn't provide a physical barrier between moving parts leading to wear of the case hardening on the gears.

Changing transmission oil is worthwhile in any transmission, and is much more relevant if it's rebuilt - to promote longevity.

Saab were absolutely retarded in their 'never change tranny oil' it was a choice they made I'm sure because too many people drained it and put the oil in the wrong dipstick (thus leaving either engine or gearbox dry) which was very expensive for Saab with cars in warranty.

Modern cars have transmission oil change schedules, most have either a mesh flow by filter + magnet filter or an actual filter (auto trannys)
    I'm with Ed here. Just because some 900s have racked up enormous mileages and never changed tranny oil, doesn't mean Saab's recommendation is right about never changing it. I'm even dubious about using engine oil. I tend to change tranny fluid at 50k miles and even at that it can be black with particles in it. I also tend to use a proper manual transmission oil, in my case Castrol smx-s, which I like a lot.

Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    Given that I have to change out the companion flanges, the transmission oil will be gone ... at that point, I will replace it with new, maybe even replace it, run it, drain it, and refill again ... if I am going to do it, I may as well DO IT! ;-)
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca