Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles

Last chance for low prices on new DIC/IDM units

Saab Parts AB has just raised the list price on the DIC/IDM units for the L4 engine to $609USD each! eEuroparts.com is holding the line on their prices until their stock is exhausted. Their current website price is $397.50USD

An even better deal, again only until current stock is exhausted, is to order one from CarQuest. I ordered one to have as a spare Friday night, it was shipped to my local store, and I picked it up this morning (Sunday) for a total cost of ~$260USD with taxes.

It is the real deal, made by SEM in Sweden during the 44th week of 2011 (code 1144 on label), and is version TK3.7D.

It doesn't come in the tight fitting SAAB box with the nifty angled dunnage to keep everything upright during storage. But for less than half of list price I can store its larger box in the proper position until I actually need to install it.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Always a bit of a difficult decision to spend money on parts you don't need right now but are going to need eventually. $260 sounds like a bargain.

Did you order online from carquest.com or at your local store?

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    I ordered it on-line Friday night and picked it up this morning at the store. The Counter Guys were confused how to process the order upon pick-up since CarQuest has just started on-line sales and hardly any of this store's customers use this feature yet.

I cleared it with the Missus before I ordered it. She was peeved I even asked her! I told her if I needed one now I wouldn't have asked, but since this part may sit around for two years I wanted her concurrence before purchase. I know I will need it eventually, so spending $260 now to avoid spending $610 in 24 months is still a savings.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Great, thanks.

I found it here online: CARQUEST - Product Information:CARQUEST IGNITION COILS

Interesting they don't list the Saab part number 55559955 but 52-2117 for this DIC. Must be an internal CarQuest part number.

eEuro is also offering an aftermarket DIC from Professional Parts Sweden for $248: https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/414...lack-28349955/

Finally! A high quality aftermarket replacement Direct Ignition Cassette for your Saab. These units are brand new, feature European made coil packs and circuitry, encased in a perfectly sized and shaped black painted aluminum case that will fit directly onto your engine with no modification.

Even better, each and every unit is tested in extreme heat and cold before it leaves the factory. To date, these units have had a zero failure rate once released from testing and installed in the "real world". They've been on the market in limited quantities for over 18 months and are now gaining popularity for their reliability and quality.

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    I found a thread on another Saab Owner's forum discussing the Pro-Parts units. No comment regarding failure but a couple of questionable things.

1) The units have no label or identifier other than the Pro-Parts Part Number.
    2) The unit the poster received and installed had evidence of red paint, indicating the case was from a T5 unit.

DI Cassette by PRO-PARTS SWEDEN [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

I suppose it is possible Pro-Parts buys old units just for the housings, installs all new Sweden sourced electronic internals, paints the housings Black to indicate T7 use, and sells a high quality unit at a lower cost.

It appears I spent ~$12 more for a unit with a SAAB/SEM label and I am happy with that outcome.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I ordered mine from the Carquest website today so probably should be ready for pickup in a few days.

This was posted on the eEuroparts website about the price increase.

Posted on: December 3, 2012

In an update from Saab, we were informed that the list price of all Ignition Control Modules would increase from their dealer list price of $441.67 USD to $609 USD. This price increase would effect Saab OE: 55559955, 55561132, and 55561133 (V6 model). This represents a significant price increase on our most popular item.

We've been told that there were two considerations in play for this price change. The first is that these items have been manufactured for almost two decades, for the Tronic5 versions, with few price changes. The world is a different place than it was when the Tronic5 system first rolled off the assembly line. Materials, shipping, labor basically everything is more expensive. This was the largest factor relative to the new price.

The second was the market price. The price of DIs at www.eeuroparts.com, as soon as supply became stable in July returned to our normal 10% off dealer list of $397.50. Unfortunately our competitors didn't follow suit. Cassettes were still being listed on eBay and Amazon for $100 to $150 over dealer list price. In this authors opinion that played a significant factor in Saab's decision of this current "market price".

Starting on Monday 12/10 the eEuro price for a DI cassette will increase to $497.50. If customers would like a Genuine spare at the still low, low market price of $397.50 you have until 12/10 or until supplies are exhausted at the old cost on our end. The great news is that we now carry very affordability priced options manufactured by Proparts for the Tronic5 (94-98) and Tronic7 (99-08) ignitions. These units carry a 1-year warranty when new plugs are used and are properly greased.

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Picked mine up today at CarQest for the 250.00 price. GMSaab OEM part. Pretty good deal which I suppose will end when their supply runs out.
    44th week of 2011 (code 1144 on label), and is version TK3.7D.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I ordered mine Sunday evening, shipped from a Carquest warehouse on Monday and at my local store on Tuesday. Pretty impressive, no shipping charges. Mine was wrapped in bubble wrap and packed in a plain box. Thanks for the tip Roger, very good deal for an OEM DIC.

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    I bought two!

Actually, I sold my first purchase to another Saaber in Pennsylvania whose local CarQuest store refuses to special order any parts for retail customers. I sold him the DIC/IDM I purchased ten days ago for my cost plus shipping and sent it to him on Monday. Today I picked up the second DIC/IDM which now resides in my parts cabinet.

Frank, your new DIC/IDM is three weeks younger than the one I sold and shipped (the 1147 code on its label means it was manufactured in the 47th week of 2011). I haven't yet opened the second box to see when it was made.
    Last edited by MI-Roger; 13 December 2012 at 11:07.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    FYI - if anyone is looking for a T5 DI unit - I have one for sale. Used - but in EXCELLENT condition. Asking $200 for it. I've heard OK thinkgs otherwise on the T5 aftermarket units being made now. The T7 aftermarket units are JUNK - none of them work yet at all. I've dealt with them first hand - utter junk!

Saab Trionic 5 IDM Ignition Cassette DI Red
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com