Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2005 Arc 9-5

Saab 2005 95 Valve Lifter Adjustment

Does anybody know how to adjust the valve lifter? A mechanic mentioned to me that the rattling sound comes from the head and this could be the valve lifter that is tight as specified.
    Thank you.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    The 2.3 engine has hydraulic tappets and usually doesn't require adjustment. Unless they fail, I suppose. More common is the timing chain and/or tensioner that gets a bit loose over time. Can you hear what side of the engine it is coming from?

This is information from the WIS about common causes of valve noise:

Hydraulic tappets

Description

The valve gear incorporates hydraulic tappets which keep the valve clearance within a limited
    working range of 2.05 mm (0.081 in), which is between 18.75 and 20.8 mm (0.738-0.819 in)
    from the cam to the valve. Each tappet has two storage chambers and one high-pressure
    chamber, which is sealed against one of the storage chambers by means of a spring-loaded
    ball valve. A return spring in the high-pressure chamber acts on the sliding plunger so that
    any clearance between the tappet and the base circle of the cam is eliminated. At the same
    time, the high-pressure chamber expands and makes up the oil volume to compensate for
    leakage losses in the gap between the plunger and cylinder which occur at actuating pressure.
    Under some conditions the hydraulic tappets may give rise to a chattering noise of varying
    intensity. In most cases this noise will be short-lived and no remedial action will be necessary.
    Details are given in the following of the most common types of noise, the most probable cause
    of the noise and preliminary action which may be taken to eliminate the noise.

Valve noise

1. Valve chatter after the car has been parked for longer than 48 hours. During a
    period of prolonged parking, oil drains out of the tappets' high-pressure chambers
    and allows air to get in. For a period of about 15 minutes after the engine has been
    started, valve chatter will be heard until the air has been purged from the valve
    tappets. Engine speed should not be allowed to exceed 3000 rpm until the noise has
    ceased. See point 4.

2. Valve chatter on starting the engine after an oil change. If valve chatter did not
    occur before the oil change it will disappear of its own accord when the engine's oil
    pressure reaches its normal operating level.
    3. Temporary noise on starting a cold engine. This noise is perfectly normal and will
    disappear of its own accord when the engine's oil pressure reaches its normal
    operating level.

4. Valve chatter when the engine is started after work has been carried out on it
    involving turning it over by hand or on the starter motor. The noise is due to one or
    more of the tappets having been drained of oil and will therefore disappear when the
    engine has been running for a while. At worst, it may take up to 15 minutes at 2000-
    3000 rpm for it to disappear. At lower engine speeds it will take much longer to
    expel the air. At higher engine speeds there is a danger of damaging the valve
    tappets.

5. Noise after fitting new valve tappets. Cause and rectification, see point 4.

6. Noise occurring after a short period of idling when the engine is hot. If the engine is
    run at 1 500 rpm or more, the noise will disappear after a while. The cause of this
    noise is low oil pressure in the hydraulic valve tappets at idling speed.

7. Noise which occurs at high engine speeds and disappears when the engine has been
    idling for a shorter or longer period. This noise is due to an excessive amount of air in the
    oil at high engine speeds. The ingress of air is caused by leakage on the suction side of
    the oil pump, such as a leak in the suction pipe.

8. Noise from an individual tappet, regardless of how the car is driven. The most likely
    cause is a particle of dirt having become trapped in the non-return valve of the
    tappet. The easiest way to identify a faulty tappet is to switch off the engine, remove
    the camshaft cover and press on all tappets not under load. The tappet that feels
    light (springy) or spongy is the faulty one. Replace the faulty tappet or tappets.

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3t Wagon HO Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Does anybody know how to adjust the valve lifter? A mechanic mentioned to me that the rattling sound comes from the head and this could be the valve lifter that is tight as specified.
    Thank you.
    Your lifters are not adjustable. If your lifters are noisy, chances are that you need to use an engine flush followed by using the correct oil, something like Pennzoil 5W-30 Euro L Full synthetic, (which meets A3/B3 specs).
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    Sport Wagon 2.3T HO Manual
    140,627 Miles

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2005 Arc 9-5

Re: Saab 2005 95 Valve Lifter Adjustment

The noise is generally located on the left side of the engine facing it from the front.
    Thank you for the replies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Aero Sport Combi
    That is classic timing chain noise. Please take the car to a qualified Saab mechanic ASAP.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2005 Arc 9-5
    I will schedule a shop check up. thank you.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    How many miles are on your 9-5?

Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch
    When are you hearing the noise? On start-up? When it's cold? At idle?
    2011 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch "Wolffe"

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2005 Arc 9-5
    My car has 110Kmiles. The sound does not come on during start. Our weather here now is cold in the morning. I have no problem when starting the car. I would set my heater to 80F and fan to maybe 80%. after a few minutes, the sound would start coming out, it sounds like a loose part rattling, not metal grinding sound.
    Thanks.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2005 Arc 9-5
    My car has 110Kmiles. The sound does not come on during start. Our weather here now is cold in the morning. I have no problem when starting the car. I would set my heater to 80F and fan to maybe 80%. after a few minutes, the sound would start coming out, it sounds like a loose part rattling, not metal grinding sound.
    Thanks.