Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Loss of coolant - water pump?

My 2005 9-5 with 45k miles lost some coolant and I had to refill the expansion tank. Not much but still enough to cause concern. I noticed traces of orange coolant on the oil filter and oil pan. There isn't enough loss to notice coolant on the ground after it has been parked.

There sometimes is a faint burnt coolant smell when you open the hood. But not like when the coolant bypass valve was failing on a previous 9-5. And the traces of coolant near the oil pan and filter makes me believe it is not the CBV.

My first guess is the engine coolant pump. Or could it be something else? It is difficult to see in that area so I am not sure how to check.

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Banjo bolts on coolant lines at turbo and water pump would be the 1st place I would check given the location. Lower radiator hose? Remove the plastic under the motor and take a look. With that location it is more likley a hose connection than the CBV or the head and at 41000 I cant imagine you have a head issue.. Follow the lines out of the expansion tank too. You will find it.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions Mike. I will be replacing the thermostat this weekend so this will give me a chance to check it out in more detail. I didn't expect the thermostat go bad at this mileage but perhaps these kind of things are also related to the age of the car.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    After removing the turbo heat shield, I found a small area where I can see coolant. Unfortunately, you can't really see more in that area without starting to disassemble more.

Coolant lines around the turbo look clean. Is it easy to get to the water pump. That's one area I haven't done work on the 9-5 before.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Saab(s)
    Take the MAF tube off and check the tighness on the banjo bolts. Bet you will find the leak. Just tighten. Find your leak before you do the thermostat as a small amout will come out adding to the confusion of where the leak is.
    PS What program do you use to pland your graphis into a photo?. That arrow is good.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I use Snagit for screen capturing and much more like putting objects in images. I use it mostly at work but it also comes in handy at home. Very easy to use and helpful in making tutorials. Great tool for only $50. Snagit, Mac and Windows screen capture software from TechSmith

Saab(s)
    Very interesting.

Thanks.
    Mike

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I couldn't see anything wrong after removing the MAF hose. It think it must come from the coolant pump. Looking at the WIS instructions, it doesn't look too difficult to take of the coolant pump, just time consuming. Is it common for these pumps to leak? If it is leaking from the pump, is it usually the pump itself, gaskets, the way it is attached to the engine or other causes?

I don't mind putting in the time but I'd rather have the necessary parts and/or new pump in case anything needs to be replaced so I don't have to do it a second time.

Saab(s)
    Before I would replace the pump I would try very hard to verify that is the leak point. Actually the 4 cyl pumps don't fail very often and not at 40000. I would still go under and track it down. Find a wet spot with clean paper towels. If it is on a gasket seam or out of the pump weep hole then yes it is the pump. At least you have a spare car although I doubt you want to drive it around in the salt today seeing as how it all cleaned up for sale. You likely have time before total failure if it is the pump, but leaking is a sign of failure.

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3t Wagon HO Manual
    Usually it's the impeller shaft that eventually wears out causing slop in the pulley, then if it's not replaced, the pulley digs into the timing cover, not good.
    I changed mine with a Hepu, but that was at about 120K miles and I didn't have any issues with it, I just felt it had reached the end of it's useful life.
    Hard to imagine one of them going bad at 40K miles. I agree with Mike that you may have a loose bolt...
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    Sport Wagon 2.3T HO Manual
    140,627 Miles