Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5
    For some reason I am just seeing this now. Thank you Frank for the information!!! I will take a look down there to see if the leak is actually from there. I should also check if it is the water pump. Yes I still have the leak! Have to top off a little coolant every week or two. It has been almost a year. I'd better get it done.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    WIS instructions for this TSB 260-2538: http://saabworld.net/attachments/f14...b-260-2538.pdf

This is the o-ring that failed: https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/6233/O-Ring-9146598/

I also ordered 2 other coolant pump o-rings (https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/623...-Ring-9146606/) at the time but I can't remember if I installed those or not.

It wasn't too difficult to do this. Basically drain the coolant, remove some engine parts, replace o-ring and put things back together. The WIS instructions are all you need.
    Frank - Did you have to drain the coolant etc. as described in WIS or can you replace the o ring without that? Thanks.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    The coolant needs to be drained before you replace these parts.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5
    Great. Thanks.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Mine is still loosing coolant and had to add quite a bit yesterday. There was some coolant on the ground to the front left of right front wheel so the area where the water pump is.

It only leaks when it is very cold outside and never happens in summer or when the engine is warm.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5
    I finally got in there and attended to the leak as it was getting quite bad, having to add coolant every few days at times. Frank’s instructions and WSI were very useful but my leak was mostly from the pump going into the engine block and had to treat it as a water pump replacement.
    Has been about 2K miles and it is seems to be bone dry down there.
    I have 115K on the car.

The main culprits were the 3 "O" rings given in the diagram above 2 #4's and 1 #3.
    However, for me the #4’s were completely "bald", had no sealing capacity left, and very brittle, they broke when I tried to squeeze them.
    The #3 was cracked but it didn't seem this was the main problem.
    I had ordered a HEPU pump as well just in case and I had ordered the O rings additionally, not wanting to take them out of the Pump packaging if I didn't need the pump. I also should have ordered the copper seals(for 20 cents!) at the banjo joint that goes into the bottom of the pump(metallic pipe). The other end of this metallic pipe goes in the Turbo. I realized I needed this after I put it back together and the coolant was just spewing all out of there. I may have lost a copper seal when I took it apart.

So to treat it like a water pump replacement - remove power steering pump, remove serpentine belt, do all the steps given in the WSI above, remove water pump, put the new O rings and seals and put it back in reverse. Water pump replacement WSI also recommends replacing O ring(large black) where the intake pipe goes to the Turbo and the O ring in the air intake bypass pipe(teal color). However they looked good so didn’t change them even though I had ordered them when I had to order the copper seals for the Banjo.

Frank – the banjo joint might be an issue or the #4 O rings that go into the block. You could also check the other end of the metallic pipe with the banjo that goes into the turbo, that has another banjo joint( and different size seals). I guess you could check back in this area before treating it like a water pump replacement which is a bit more involved.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9 -5 Aero
    I have everything removed so far up to where all is left is for me to get the pipe off so that I can access the O ring. How to I get the pipe out of the way?

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3t Wagon HO Manual
    Did you unbolt that pipe at the front right corner of the head, (as you are facing the engine).

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9 -5 Aero
    Thanks, I figured it out to later realize e euro parts sent the wrong o ring fml

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3t Wagon HO Manual
    That will slow a project down...