Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)

Creating a Saabworld collision report form

Want to contribute ideas for a form? I'll release the final version. This post is thinking about what to include.

http://saabworld.net/f85/random-pict...html#post47768

This link is about a picture of a law firm's accident report that has a drawing of a Saab. It got me to thinking what one should do in case of a collision. Obviously, it's to first protect people, so pull off the side of the road and don't get hit by a car. It's a good idea to take notes. Some places require an accident report be submitted eventually.

Consider helping me develop a form that includes all of the information needed for all the forms as well as good information to get. My initial source will be that lawyer's form and the Washington state report form (that website is down, will refer to it later). Later, I'll see if Oregon and British Columbia have forms and probably other major states, like California, New York, etc. Other countries can be looked at, too.

Prototype Saab collision kit
    * List of non-emergency numbers for selected police departments, tow truck companies, auto body repair shop addresses and phone numbers.
    * Proof of insurance certificate and a sheet to give to the other driver listing your insurance company
    * Keep pen, paper, pencil handy
    * Consider checklist, such as call ambulance, etc. if desired
    * Prototype Saab collision form
    Time of collision _________am pm

(*****EDIT: A long prototype form was originally posted but it takes up a lot of the computer screen and makes it hard to read. See next post for improvements.)

Photographs
    all sides of each vehicle, closeup of damage, license plates, entire accident scene, people involved, including witnesses, passengers, and driver.

Oregon: must file report within 72 hours http://www.odot.state.or.us/forms/dmv/32.pdf, also asks if air bag deployed
    Last edited by Dave T; 10 January 2013 at 20:29.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Rather than making my own form, as described in the above post, I've decided to keep a copy of the Washington state collision report form in the car. It can be used as a draft to collect information and a clean copy submitted. By having the actual form, one will be reminded of what information to collect. A link to the Washington state form is http://www.wsp.wa.gov/publications/f..._empowered.pdf

If one uses the Washington state form to collect information, they will have all the information needed to fill out the Oregon form ( http://www.odot.state.or.us/forms/dmv/32.pdf ), except Oregon asks if air bags deployed.

A lawyer's collision form also asked if the other driver was driving on an assignment (or errand) for the owner as well as photographs of all sides of each vehicle, closeup of damage, license plates, entire accident scene, people involved, including witnesses, passengers, and driver.

One insurance company recommended collecting information on the passenger's description (height, weight, gender), possibly to prevent bogus witnesses.

In short, my own packet will now include:
    1. Washington state collision report

2. Supplemental information sheet
    a. air bags deployed?
    b. other driver was driving on an assignment (or errand) for the owner?
    c. photographs of all sides of each vehicle, closeup of damage, license plates, entire accident scene, people involved, including witnesses, passengers, and driver.
    d. passenger's description (height, weight, gender)

3. List of non-emergency numbers for selected police departments, tow truck companies, auto body repair shop addresses and phone numbers.

4. Proof of insurance certificate and a sheet to give to the other driver listing your insurance company
    5. Keep pen, paper, pencil handy

I just got a letter offering a free first aid kit for requesting a car insurance quote. If you're badly injured, that little kit isn't going to do anything. Thinking about it, I don't think a first aid kit is really useful. I think I'll create my own first aid kit which is mainly gloves, Band-Aids, gauze (to stop bleeding), and scissors, maybe a blanket.

EDIT: I just found this link that has links to official collision report forms for all 50 states and 5 provinces in Canada. http://www.actar.org/reports.html