Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 Saab 9-5
    Thumbs Up:   0

Best Tire Pressure

I have a 1999 Saab 9-5. I just put on new Goodyear Eagle GT tires. The max pressure on the tires is 51 psi. The decal on the door shows 32 psi and 39 psi, the latter for high speed driving. Any recommendations for tire pressure?

0 Not allowed!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Thumbs Up:   107
    The WIS shows 2 different tire pressures depending on the load of the car. High-speed driving only applies when you regularly drive in Germany at 100+ mph. Probably doesn't happen that often in America.

http://saabworld.net/f144/tire-tyre-...b-9-5-a-27476/

I use 35 psi front and back. It's not an exact science.

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 Saab 9-5
    Thumbs Up:   0
    When I got the tires from Goodyear, they had them inflated over 41 PSI. I suspect the trade-off is ride (lower psi) vs wear (higher psi).

0 Not allowed!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Thumbs Up:   107
    The sticker on my door jamb says 42 psi front and 43 psi back for cold tire pressure. I don't know why this is so much higher than the WIS and owners manual.

0 Not allowed!

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Thumbs Up:   25
    The door jamb may be displaying the maximum tire pressure for fast driving and a heavy load. This is what the sticker for one BMW that I looked at before.

Mercedes Benz recommends 3 psi more than the normal tire pressure for better handling and fuel economy. Their normal tire pressure is geared for a better ride but not too underinflated, I presume.

Saab seems to be very detail oriented by recommending different tire pressures for different tire sizes. Following Mercedes Benz' suggestion, I put 3 psi more than the Saab recommendation for normal speed, which is still considerably below the high speed recommendation. For winter tires, it is advantageous not to overinflate tires when driving in snow so I put about 1 psi more than the psi for normal speed.

Saab recommends putting, I believe 40 psi, if the car is stored for a while. When shipping the car from Sweden, I did just that to reduce flat spotting of the tire tread. I found that the Swedish air pumps are different. The station that I went to had a refillable metal tank that filled about one tire before it had to be refilled by putting it back in the receptacle.

I got a Black and Decker air pump a few years ago after all the gas stations that I usually use started charging for air. I think I've paid for the cost of the pump already. Previously, I used to a complicated system adding free air to a warm tire and then letting out some air the next morning. Essentially, I determined the number of psi that the tire was low in the morning, later in the day bought gas and measured the psi, then adding the morning shortfall in psi plus about 2 psi, and then letting out the proper amount of air the next morning.

0 Not allowed!