Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '06 9-7x and '97 900 SE Monte Carlo Cabrio, TurboX and 9-5NG Aero
    I never saw a white 9-7 before and that one does look sweet. I got mine as brand new during my stay in Middle East and intend to keep it still rather long. Few years back I went with it to Intsaab in Switzerland and those 9-7x caused quite a interest there

I consider both my Saab as real Saabs, one is made in Ohio, US and second one in Uusikaupunki, Finland

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    Sadly, though they may draw interest I hardly look at them as being Saabs. Not that I don't like them and not for but a moment of hesitation, there would be a nice black on tan Aero with the 390 horse Chevy engine out in the driveway. It was a long ride by the Canadian border in upstate New York so I hesitated a day and it was sold. Are there differences, yes, but mostly academic like the half inch road clearance. Much like the 9-2X called the Sabbaru, the only places the car says Saab is on two exterior badges and interior touches. Pop the hood and it's all Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. It looks like a fun car but since they are rare they are hard to find and just don't seem to be worth the price of the badge. I looked at one a few weeks ago at a local lot but it was gone the following day also.

That looks like a ski area on the hill behind your Saab. Rest assured that your 7X will get you through a powder drop and to the lifts in much better fashion than my Aero XWD would. I wouldn't be a Saab Snob, just enjoy it for what it is; a nice functional SUV that will get you down a muddy road or to a snowy slope.

Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 convertible
    Yes of course it's a real Saab. As much a Saab as anything Saab built the last 20 years. The real problem is how GM markets its brands that causes questions about the 9-7X and 9-2X in the first place. In a marketplace where even the simplest of American buyers knows that virtually nothing separates a Chevy Malibu from a Pontiac Grand Am or an Olds Cutlass or a Buick Regal, the brand becomes weak and irrelevant. And the fate of former GM brands like Olds, Saturn, Pontiac and -- sadly -- Saab, too proves the point. GM is folding brands because they are losing market share, both a direct result of short-sighted and misplaced corporate priorities. While other manufacturers like VW/Audi/Porsche do just fine marketing multiple brands to multiple consumer segments, GM has not.

As for the smug self-described "true" Saab aficionados, they need to own up for the incompetence of Saab's Swedish leadership, the ones who siphoned the company's future depending on aging models without diversification or proper investment, inevitably leaving the Swedish automobile division flat-broke and Saab-Scania desperate to get out of the car business entirely.
    [FONT=verdana]Never met a SAAB I didn't like. [/FONT]

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    #1SAAB12, true in part and mostly I agree with you but Porsche/VW was stumbling down the same garden path in the 1970's with some badge marketing. As a result, the Porsche crowd looks down their noses at the 924 that was penned as a replacement for the VW Sirocco as well as the 914 that was looked upon as a VW in the Euro market but as a Porsche entry vehicle here, the only break being given was to the 914/6 which had greater acceptance. I watched the BBC, classic, cut and restore show when they did a 914 last week and "Ed" very guardedly and in low tones uttered the word "Porsche" almost in a whisper. Audi, if you remember them in the late 70's with the early Quattro's were in a mess with cars that rusted and broke. I knew a gal at the U of Maine who kept four in her yard as a parts bin. I'm shocked that Audi recovered.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Aero, 2002 9-5 wagon, 2007 9-3 Aero, '93 9000 CSE, 7 vintage Saabs
    It wasn't long ago in the 60's that the Saab 2 stroke fanatics scoffed at the idea of a V4 4 stroke made by Ford. It wasn't long after that the the 99 was introduced with a Leyland designed OHC 1700 CC engine. The derivatives of that engine were still present up to the last B235 Saab produced. It goes on an on like that in the company's history.

The 9-2x and the 9-7x were fairly heavily massaged by Saab. The 9-2x Aero is a car you can actually drive with re-tuned suspension. If you've ever driven a WRX you'd know what I mean. They will vibrate the caps off your teeth. The 9-7x's in this neck of the woods were badged as Aero versions with the 5.3L V8 until the 6.0L was added to the lineup of 9-7's in 2008. The 6.0L is quick but the 5.3's were no slouch either.

The point made about various Opel's and Lancia's are all valid. But I think that after Swedish engineers did their thing all models carrying the Saab badge were all Saab's.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Welcome to the world of GM butt hurt
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    I realize this is an old thread, but since I get my second 9-7X in just over 3.5 hours, I figured, what the hell? ;-)

This will make the 9-7X the second on my list of models I have owned (3 9-5's, 2 9-7X, 1 C900, 1 NG900, 1 9000 SPG).
    Maybe I'm hooked? ;-)
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    I've kept this car in sight for some time now knowing if there was ever a time to replace my Corvette due to emerging medical issues, the 9-7X Aero would be a strong contender. We also had a GMC dealer in town and there was some hope that I might eliminate the 50 mile trip every time a Tech II was needed but it seems that is not the case. I spoke with the GMC manager the other day and while it's a "yes" he will work on some parts, it's a "NO" for anything Tech II related. When they built a new facility what ever gear they inherited from a Saab place that went out ouf business was discarded. In the end, all off the items that made this car "GO" were GM so that is hardly a Saab.

To really answer this question seems you need to spend some real wheel time in each one instead of "hangar flying" it to a decision. Take out a Trailblazer and a 7X then decide