Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 SS 2.0T ARC

24hrs ago it started, Now it doesn't...Starter will not engage. Help Please!

[FONT=verdana]I drove my 93 ARC last night and no problems. Fast forward to this evening and I come out to go to an XMAS party, put the key is and turn, all the dash lights come, beeping sounds, and the SID give me an o.k check but... The starter doesn't kick in to turn over the engine. I've removed and inserted the key dozens of times. Turn it on and off and everything comes on but the starter. I even tried my other FOB key...nothing. I checked the battery and it was holding a charge of 12.43 volts according to my multimeter. I've also read a few times on forums last removing the negative battery terminal resets the electronics and fixes certain errors. I did that and it still won't start and now my steering wheel won't lock after removing the fob key...is it normal for the car to take awhile to get used to the key again?[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]The only thing that has changed between yesterday and today is it got really cold outside last night and today. Was 5C yesterday and now -9C (-14 with the wind). Is something frozen?[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Anyways does anyone have any idea where I should start looking for the problem?[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Thanks[/FONT]
    Last edited by mr_saab; 15 December 2012 at 23:02.

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    12.4 is good for a battery but it does nt prove the battery is good. It sounds like a dead battery. Starter wont engage if there is not sufficient load capacity in the battery. Take it out and get it load tested. Next step is to check for corrosion at the end of the leads at the starter itself.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 SS 2.0T ARC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brennan View Post
    12.4 is good for a battery but it does nt prove the battery is good. It sounds like a dead battery. Starter wont engage if there is not sufficient load capacity in the battery. Take it out and get it load tested. Next step is to check for corrosion at the end of the leads at the starter itself.
    I own a portable load tester and it gave me a reading of 10.6 volts which is a pass.
    2004 SAAB 9-3 ARC 2.0T 5Spd A/T 153XXXKM

Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch

24hrs ago it started, Now it doesn't...Starter will not engage. Help Please!

9-3s eat batteries. When they go bad you'll have symptoms like you describe. Everything lights up normal on the dash but it doesn't crank. Even with a jump start, the starter sometimes won't engage on them and you need a jump the starter relay.
    2011 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch "Wolffe"

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 SS 2.0T ARC
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lauzze View Post
    9-3s eat batteries. When they go bad you'll have symptoms like you describe. Everything lights up normal on the dash but it doesn't crank. Even with a jump start, the starter sometimes won't engage on them and you need a jump the starter relay.
    Well I forgot to mention I also have a 700amp booster pack I keep for emergencies that I tried and even with that tied to a fully charged battery not a sound from the starter.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lauzze View Post
    What are Saabworld readers' opinion on buying a battery charger, like this.

2/6 Amp, 6/12 Volt Battery Charger
    This dual rate battery charger handles all your 6V and 12V battery charging needs – automotive, RV and other applications. The compact unit is loaded with features, including long battery leads and power cord, an amp meter with a self-resetting circuit breaker and a auto trickle charge mode after your battery is fully charged. Fully charges a 12V battery in only 6-8 hours.
    Charging rates at 2 amp and 6 amp
    Automatically switches to trickle charge mode after battery is fully charged
    Built-in ammeter for diagnostic use
    I presume it's of cheap construction. However, I might use it once every 3 years and maybe 2-3 consecutive days every 6 years. It's on sale for $23. Worth it? I am thinking of buying it.

If I use it, should I disconnect the battery from the car or is it safe to recharge the battery when it is hooked up to the car, but the car is off.

Please advise. I will be driving past Harbor Freight tools tomorrow and might buy it.

EDIT: Harbor Freight Tools has a comments section. Several people said that the charger initially works but doesn't last too long before breaking. Hmm... Yet if you pay more, will the more expensive one work for years?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 SS 2.0T ARC
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    What are Saabworld readers' opinion on buying a battery charger, like this.

2/6 Amp, 6/12 Volt Battery Charger

I presume it's of cheap construction. However, I might use it once every 3 years and maybe 2-3 consecutive days every 6 years. It's on sale for $23. Worth it? I am thinking of buying it.

If I use it, should I disconnect the battery from the car or is it safe to recharge the battery when it is hooked up to the car, but the car is off.

Please advise. I will be driving past Harbor Freight tools tomorrow and might buy it.

EDIT: Harbor Freight Tools has a comments section. Several people said that the charger initially works but doesn't last too long before breaking. Hmm... Yet if you pay more, will the more expensive one work for years?
    Well to answer your question about the charging procedure. You can charge the battery while its in the car, and the engine is turned off. Just make sure you get the polarity correct between the two clamps ( - + ) and there is no acid build up blocking a good connection. Honestly man If you're looking for a decent charger spend a bit more on this CTEK charger CTEK Multi US 3300 12-Volt Smart Battery Charger : Amazon.com : Automotive I've had this one for a few years and its great. Its only 2amp and not 6 (will take a few more hours to charge) with the one your looking at , but its loaded with more features, better build quality, 5yr warranty and is more compatible with different types of batteries. Its a charger and a plug it and forget seasonal battery maintainer.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    There is a TSB for the 2003-04 MY. I can email the PDF when you let me know the address to send it to.

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
    Bulletin Nbr: 331-2628
    Date:...........Oktober 2006
    Market: all

Starter motor does not work

Cars affected

9-3 M03-04 with engine alternative B207

Background
    The positive cable connection to the starter motor and the generator is not waterproof. This may result in water entering and rusting away the connection. In the case of customer complaint, the following procedure must be carried out.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 SS 2.0T ARC
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    There is a TSB for the 2003-04 MY. I can email the PDF when you let me know the address to send it to.

Cars affected

Background
    The positive cable connection to the starter motor and the generator is not waterproof. This may result in water entering and rusting away the connection. In the case of customer complaint, the following procedure must be carried out.
    Thanks Frank.. I've read on a few other forums about checking the starter wire.

Tim Schlose
    Saab(s)
    2007 9,3 Aero S/C
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post

Cars affected

Background
    Thanks Frank, I've was snowed in moving my daughter from Northern Az U in Flagstaff, unexpectedly, and have been off the computer for a while. In regards to the battery tender, Sears sells a great one that has saved me more times than I will admit. In a charging mode it will stops charging when it detects the charge is finished. It will also start the car started if the battery is depleated, It is the Platinum model DieHard 12 Volt Battery Changer and Car Started.