Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Mechanical sound problem 9-5 2003 Aero

I have been searching for any answer to my problem without any comfirmed success yet. I have a mechanical sound coming from the left side of the engine and it is not going away. I was searching as much as I could about this matter and I opened the valve cover to take a look at my timing chain and I was suprised over how clean it was under there even though i past 100 000 miles a week ago. I continued my search for answers and saw everything posted about the sump and the oil shortage and realised I was low on oil. I fill it up with a litre and is still slightly short but will replace all oil as soon as possible so am not worrying about filling it all the way today.

The automatic transmission fluid is also at the Min mark so will fill that up. And I filled up the coolant to the halfway mark on the reservoir.

This helped the clicking noise to go away and another sign that something was wrong was that the temperatur gauge in the car does not pass a quarter of the way a lot of times now but have since this gone up to the halfway mark and seems good. The mechanical noise like a rattle of metal is getting stronger though while the clicking went away. The rattle is inconsistent to the Revs of the engine but gets worse when it is going on on high revs.

I attach a video and pictures that I have about this and hopefully someone knows what is going on and can help me. I am leaning towards it may be the water pump but I have a feeling that is something that does not come and go.

It occours at 16 seconds in to the video and at 1.20

Name:  IMAG0065.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  41.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0070.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  26.4 KB

Name:  IMAG0073.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  40.7 KB

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    The video shows it is private so we can not watch it.

When the temperature gauge isn't going up to the halfway mark, it most likely is a faulty thermostat or coolant temp sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    The video shows it is private so we can not watch it.

When the temperature gauge isn't going up to the halfway mark, it most likely is a faulty thermostat or coolant temp sensor.
    The privacy settings is updated

Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch

Mechanical sound problem 9-5 2003 Aero

That noise is really tough to make out, but it doesn't sound like a death rattle to me. I'm leaning more towards a pulley going bad, but again it's hard to say.

As to the temp gauge issue, I'll echo Frank's thoughts on the coolant temp sensor or thermostat.
    2011 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch "Wolffe"

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Sounds like PULLEY failure! Check all your pulley's and replace ANY with bearing noise or play. Could be the tensioner pulley or water pump too. I'd look there. Also a new belt with pulley's is always good practice.

Agreed on sensor for temp gauge issue. T-stats never hurt either.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

I left it at a mechanic today and we looked at the sound and what he told me after I left was the A/C Compressor clutch is broken so need a new compressor is what he told me for around 2500. So I will buy a new compressor and after that see if any of the pulleys are damaged in the bearing and stuff too and see if the car runs better.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Compressor SUGGESTED list price is about $600 - labor to install is about another 2.5hrs Call it 3 with evac and recharge. You should be near $1000 installed plus the R134a - $2500 is WAY too much.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    Compressor SUGGESTED list price is about $600 - labor to install is about another 2.5hrs Call it 3 with evac and recharge. You should be near $1000 installed plus the R134a - $2500 is WAY too much.
    That is why I said to the mechanic "no way" and I am buying a compressor myself and just paying for the labor of a few 100. The argument from the shop was to change enough parts to cover warranty but 1500 dollars for that makes me sure that I do not think it is worth it and I go my own way.

I have not found anywhere to buy the compresor though yet since if you enter the 2003 car to a system you find the early versions and I think my vin shows that I have a later version of the compressor since they changed during the production year of 2003 to a newer compressor. Not sure how big of a deal it is to get the wrong one :/

Bruce Richardson
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1998 900 SE Turbo
    Most a/c compressors the clutch is a replacable unit by itself. Who makes the compressor for SAABS. A stethascope with a long metal probe is real good in isolating bearing noise.