Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    9000CSE, 9-3 Aero Convertible, 9-5 HOT Aero

Air bag light

The air bag light started coming on in the dash with a warning ding since this evening, not continuous but tends to turn on while at a slow pace. Tried switching ignition on & off but to no avail. Any ideas how to get rid of the annoying warning sounds/light?

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Get the fault code read - diagnose and repair. Ignoring it will not usually fix it. Common faults are driver's air bag harness in steering wheel, bad door impact sensor or aged seat belt assembly. If you have any recent aftermarket wiring done this could be the cause... and the source.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    9000CSE, 9-3 Aero Convertible, 9-5 HOT Aero
    No recent wiring done or any other electrical fiddle, how do you get the codes? Any particular cable/software from eBay or the web?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5
    You have to get your hands on a cheap OBD2 code scanner. You can also get a laptop computer interface cable and download the diagnostic software from the internet. In the U.S. the interface cables sell for less than $20. Do a quick ebay search for OBD2 scanner and I am sure you'll find one. Also, a local parts store may have one you can use. They often loan them out briefly knowing that - upon proper diagnosis - you'll be coming back to buy parts.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5
    Also, the moderator has put many of the codes in the "diagnostics and documentation" section of the forum. You might check with someone else before spending money on a scanner, though. I recall hearing that it was more difficult to pull ABS codes (vs. engine codes) on some older models.

Bruce Richardson
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1998 900 SE Turbo
    You have to have a scanner that has ABS or SRS to pull those codes, Most free checks at say AUTOZONE just have basic OBDII. Some car makers have unlimited warranties on safety items (seat belts-airbags), same for recalls on safety items. Check and see what maybe they might have still covered also.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbotogo View Post
    Some car makers have unlimited warranties on safety items (seat belts-airbags), same for recalls on safety items. Check and see what maybe they might have still covered also.
    None I've seen have UNLIMITED - but more like a 10 year 100,000 mile coverage on Restraint related system components. Being Saab is no longer, I have a feeling those who have GMPP or GM warranty still (2007-2009) may be the only ones left with ANY coverage like that. Again - not 100% on that - but I recall it being the 10/100 coverage. Look in your owners manual - it's in there. Sludge was 10/unlimited assuming you had followed the required repairs and oil changes prior to an engine being called.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Bruce Richardson
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1998 900 SE Turbo
    I had a 91 Honda Accord and there was an recall or warrenty issue with the seat belts and the dealer had to fix it for free, this was in 2009. the car was 18 years old. the dealer said some of the safety componets by law could not expire. Just thinking. But like you said, SAAB no longer in business, there's no one to back the waranties anymore