Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

9-5 Fuel system question

I'm having a very frustrating problem I cannot diagnose. My 2004 Aero has a very hard time accepting fuel, especially if its very cold out. The filler pipe will fill and then slowly drain. I generally can't pump more than .1 gallons before there is gasoline coming out of the filler hole.

A little while back, a friend and I disconnected the hose from the gas tank to look for any kinks or blockages, but there weren't any. I continue to have the problem.

So I'm thinking its one of two issues -

1- It is somehow not exchanging the volume of fluid entering the tank with the amount of air it is replacing. If this is possible, how does this vehicle exchange the air in an empty tank with the fuel entering it?

2- Is there some kind of flapper/valve somewhere in the fuel filling system that could be stuck, not allowing fuel through the way it's supposed to?

The problem gets worse the colder it gets, but it's always there. Any insight to this issue *coughFrankcough* would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone wants to see this, I can take a video tonight and post a link to it so you can see what I'm talking about.

Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch
    If I remember right, there is a little roll-over flapper valve thing (very technical) in the neck of the the gas tank. Sounds to me like it is sticking.
    2011 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch "Wolffe"

9-5 Fuel system question

I'm glad there is. That makes things a little bit easier. If I unhook the fuel inlet pipe, will it be right there?

Why is it there, anyway? Does it do anything to vent the gas tank?

Also, anything I can use to lubricate said flapper/valve thingy that won't mess with the gas tank or contaminate the fuel?

9-5 Fuel system question

OK! Talked to a guy from Boulder who's been working on Saab's for 20 years. He knew immediately what the problem was.

Brad was right - there is a rollover valve right inside the neck, which is accessible if you remove the filler pipe. He said all you do is get a long ratchet extension, reach in, and break it off. It's not something you can just remove from the neck, but you can leave it at the bottom of the tank without an issue.

I figure if the car is upside down, maybe I'll regret doing it, but I don't envision flipping the car and catching it on fire.