Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Aero, 2011 9-5

Rear speakers do not work

While I am very pleased overall with my new purchase of a 2011 9-5, we almost immediately discovered that the two rear speakers (behind the passenger seat) do not have any sound. Any ideas on diagnosis? Naturally, I knew that there was no warranty with this purchase. Any thoughts on a recommendation for an aftermarket warranty would also be appreciated.

Barry

Saab(s)
    9-5 2011
    Hey Barry, I purchased a 2011 9-5 as well recently and just realized I don't have any sound either on the rear speakers behind passenger seat. Might take the car to a car audio shop to have it checked out, you had any luck?

Saab(s)
    9-5 2011
    ok, I have a really sad diagnosis... There are no speakers there at all, just covers. I climbed into the trunk and removed the back padding and it is empty! So my brand new car are missing two speakers, should be 9 but only 7 now. Maybe Saab could not afford the parts before they stopped the lines, would explain, anyone have any ideas?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Are there at least speaker wires? That's really odd..

Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Aero, 2011 9-5
    Same here. It doesn't look like there are any wires. I took it to a trusted audio guy also. He thinks that to add the 6x9 speakers and the tweeters will require an amp. Documentation on the sound system in these cars is not available. Can anyone tell us what speakers are in the rear cavities?

Saab(s)
    9-5 2011
    Your audio guy is right, the rear speakers does require an amp. However I am today (will get the car back late tomorrow) adding both the speakers and an amp. I looked at the rear speakers in a 95 NG with HK system and the speakers are actually GM speakers. (Estimated guess is that they are HK speakers but it was probably cheaper for Saab/GM back then to not license the HK name for the actual speakers.) Anyway, I ordered the same speakers and amp from GM so tomorrow I can let you know how it went and hopefully how it sound

Saab(s)
    9-5 2011
    Barry, all done and it works and sounds fantastic, highly recommend you do it, took less than two hours for the garage to install. These are the same speakers that are in the HK system from Saab for the car and they are between $50-$100 each, just shop around to get best price.

The speakers you want are from GM and order number are 13264617. Now, I was planning on installing the amplifier that Saab had in the HK system for $998 but simply no need, you will have great sound and the oval shape of the back speakers will give you more than you need to play VERY loud.

This is the amusing part, Saab had them as HK speakers but GM uses them for their Bose systems. Also, the difference in price between the "premium" 9 set and HK 11 set when you buy them as separate units are less than $10 (!) dollars per speaker.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    That's odd that they ship them from the factory with covers but no speakers...
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Saab(s)
    9-5 NG
    Quote Originally Posted by rpiereck View Post
    That's odd that they ship them from the factory with covers but no speakers...
    I have just checked mine and have covers only, no speakers.
    The rear shelf is probably manufactured with the speaker cut-outs for all models. Covers are added, but having speakers depends on which variation you have.

Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Aero, 2011 9-5
    Thanks Razorbee. Did the GM speakers have a separate tweeter? I see there are holes for tweeters on both sides of the rear shelves also. Did your garage splice wires from the rear doors to extend the wiring?