Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Saab(s)
    9-3 2.0t '11 + Hirsch Stage1/BSR

Traction Control Failure. Contact Service

It's about 14 and little more now, but my new mechanic found today 2 bugs via Tech2:

- ECU failure
    - ESP module

Can't get a connection ECU and ESP so it might be a main problem. We'll check it tomorrow to be sure, and try to put a new ESP module and ECU maybe.

Ok so we could forget about CIM and driving wheel for now, if i got original part without programming...

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Aero, 2002 9-5 wagon, 2007 9-3 Aero, '93 9000 CSE, 7 vintage Saabs
    If ECU and ESP are offline you most likely need a new UEC. I've seen this many times before. New UEC's are fairly inexpensive and used ones are cheap and can be installed and married no problem.

Mark

Saab(s)
    What is it? Could you show some photo, auction, shop item, example...?

Saab(s)
    Underhood Electrical Centre? So maybe last owner had pour some washer fluid on it and it's a simple fault..?

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Quote Originally Posted by czejzee View Post
    Silly question, if i'll not do anything with it (a lot of work, no free time everyday), what could happen with Saab with every-monday-check engine dissmissed by me? It would not start someday... ?
    The fault throwing DTC P1610 will not let you down, as such.

Of the three (separate?) culprits you’re listing, is the high alternator voltage the first priority to deal with – IMO -, as the initial reported TCS issue is a “touch and go”, if I understand you correctly.

As gas starts to form in the battery at 14.4 volts, and 17V B+ is a challenge to components fed with non-regulated power (supplies). Given the 17V is a ”true reading”, i.e. measured with a calibrated multimeter, corrective measures should be performed to bring the generators regulated voltage down to 14.5 volts again. The prime suspect here is the voltage regulator, integrated in the alternator.

To track down the intermittent TCS OFF (?) warning light / Check Engine culprit is of course not easy, not using a mass replacement of components as a troubleshooting measure. Is reading DTCs being done at the time – or after appearance of the faults?

The TCS is functionally dependent on the ABS system, i.e. wheel speed sensors, solenoid valves and pump, so clearly the key question is: Why always in wet weather, and no ABS fault warning, and which components/units are exposed to the weather?

The wheel speed sensors with connectors are clearly the components most exposed to environmental variations, however would one think that the impact of wet weather causing TCS fault would trigger ABS fault as well. The only separate component in the ABS/TCS/ESP system which I at the moment can think of is likely to give a TCS/ESP fault only, is the TCS/ESP Control Module. A communication failure with the ECM or TCM on the P-bus, will trigger the TCS/ESP fault lamp and display corresponding message in the SID.

Are there signs of moisture/humidity on/in the connector of the TCM – or ECM modules, during the TCS/ESP “wet fault”? Could also apply for the TCM-connector as well, however do I believe a comm. fault TCS/TCM will trigger TCS/ESP fault lamp only, with no message in the SID (?).
    Last edited by 9-3 Aero; 16 January 2014 at 22:56. Reason: Sorry, spent quite some time in writing so I didn't see your posts

Saab(s)
    Hi czejzee,

Just for my curiosity, do you know which codes were thrown?

Saab(s)

Traction Control Failure. Contact Service

We've already checked the alternator, and voltage is about 14.4-14.5 so i'm really confused.

About 2 weeks ago was 17V... so voltage regulator failure... seems logic, but why my Saab got over 14V when couple weeks ago had 17V? Is it possible to get a higher voltage from time to time?

Saab(s)
    Hi, tomorrow i'll get all of those codes from my mechanic's Tech2.

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by czejzee View Post
    We've already checked the alternator, and voltage is about 14.4-14.5 so i'm really confused.

About 2 weeks ago was 17V... so voltage regulator failure... seems logic, but why my Saab got over 14V when couple weeks ago had 17V? Is it possible to get a higher voltage from time to time?
    Hmmm - Correct way of measuring, loose connections, salt/wet water penetration into the generator - who knows?
    Last edited by 9-3 Aero; 16 January 2014 at 23:11. Reason: typo

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Aero, 2002 9-5 wagon, 2007 9-3 Aero, '93 9000 CSE, 7 vintage Saabs
    UEC is the Underhood Electrical Center (fuse/relay box under the hood in engine compartment) ...if you removed it, it basically just pulls up and unplugs, and smell it....often times they smell burnt. I've seen dozens of them do exactly what you're experiencing. If random controllers are going offline my bet is on the UEC.