Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Wagon 2.3T I4 (B235E)
    As someone who went through a SID2 saga (obviously much simpler than the excellent ABS tutorial here), I have read more and more that BBA tells people that things "can't be fixed" - when other companies will in fact, repair them for you.

I personally hope I never need to do this, but if I do, I will be going with Cheap ABS in VA, USA. Thanks rpiereck! SaabWorld.net has some of the highest quality tutorials I have seen.
    2001 9-5 Wagon

Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero Wagon
    Thanks for the great write up. I have this problem but it is pretty intermittent, two or three times a week and then it will clear for a couple of weeks.
    I'm thinking I should probably just be proactive and send my unit out for repair before it fails for good.
    Would you recommend any troubleshooting tips to rule out anything else?

Saab(s)
    9-5 2.3T
    Thanks for all the good advices so as to replace the unit.I did the work last night on my Saab and it works fine.I did a bit differently since I took down the fuse box so the access to the unit is much easier.For those interested. I bought a unit on the net from a car of the same year as mine and did a simple replacement with no particular reprogramming. It worked from scratch and I could enjoy driving my car today with a speedometer and the mileage getting updated as well.I'm considering though getting my unit fixed and keep it for future failure if any.Thanks a lot for these tips which saved me a lot of money and provided me with the pleasure of fixing something on my car.jb

Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by jbdupont View Post
    Thanks for all the good advices so as to replace the unit.I did the work last night on my Saab and it works fine.I did a bit differently since I took down the fuse box so the access to the unit is much easier.For those interested. I bought a unit on the net from a car of the same year as mine and did a simple replacement with no particular reprogramming. It worked from scratch and I could enjoy driving my car today with a speedometer and the mileage getting updated as well.I'm considering though getting my unit fixed and keep it for future failure if any.Thanks a lot for these tips which saved me a lot of money and provided me with the pleasure of fixing something on my car.jb
    I swapped out my ABS module but still have light on the dash. I did get my speedo and odemeter back.
    I have a n Aero with the ESP. The bloke i got my spare from didn't know much about where it came from.
    I have a techII mechanic in town that will look at it tomorrrow. so maybe i'll get it solved then.
    For me - the plug and play did not wr k -at least not fully.

Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero Wagon
    TechII was no help not sure why, but the module could not be programmed to match my car.
    Easiest fix for me was to find a used parts dealer that tracks parts back to the VIN number.
    Matching the engine type, suspension type and manual transmission were what I focused on an when I attached the replacement module the lights cleared after driving it around the block.

Ron Fredey
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 3.0
    Thank you for the great tutorial.

Using your instructions, I was able to pull an ABS module from the boneyard and swap out the module. Worked fine. No need for Tech 2.

Very happy.

Ron

Saab(s)
    9-5 2.3T

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jbdupont View Post
    Just to confirm that things are still ok with the replaced unit 7,000 km down the roads.
    I had the failed unit fixed at cheapabs since, ready just in case.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 95 wagon v6

Thanks and a suggestion

I followed your removal instructions and my module is out. I'll mail my module to cheapabs.com tomorrow. Thanks!

Once I had the piece in hand, I looked at the cheapabs.com tutorial. I kind of wish I'd done so sooner.

http://cheapabs.com/removal.html#Saab95

They show how to--quite simply--get the fuse box right up out of the way instead of just nudging it a bit. This improved accessibility and visibility of the ABS module during removal.

Oddly enough, they leave the battery in place, which is an even bigger impediment to accessibility and visibility.

By the way, I was unable to unplug the electrical connector from the bottom of the unit until after removing the ABS unit from the pump. I didn't have much trouble unplugging the wire afterward though, when I could twist the unit around to get a better view of the plug. I had been afraid that the order of operations was critical but in that case I guess not.

Thanks again.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon
    Reviving an old thread with a question...
    I just watched a video where someone opened an abs unit from a GM truck of sorts and using a magnifying glass was able to locate the broken soldering on the circuit board and resoldered it.

Has anyone ever tried to repair thier abs module themselves instead if shipping it out to be remanufactured?