Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Other languages?

Could there be a need for regional and club boards in other languages? The important thing is each should have a moderator fluent in that language or at least be able to read content and see what is going on.

Just a thought. This is SaabWorld after all and may give us an edge over any other forum. And it would be interesting to build global communities like that and have them participate on the English boards as well.

I could take care of German and Dutch boards. My French really isn't what it used to be. And it wasn't much to begin with.
    Last edited by nordwulf; 02 August 2010 at 21:57.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I'm only good enough in German that I might make my way home if dropped there... or I'd just be ordering myself more beers. In reality, I can only speak very broken German

Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Linear Wagon
    Yah...are ya gointo do it in Yooper?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Not sure, i haven't seen any members from Ishpeming or Escanaba yet..

Saab(s)
    '03 9-3 SS Vector
    I can handle French language but the French are something different:p
    Frank ly French Saab owners fall into two distinct categories:

1. There are those that own 900s, don't recognise any other Saab, their forum is full of animated smileys and bizarre comments. http://forum.saabsportclub.com/

2. Then there are those who own recent Saabs but would never acknowledge any other Saab .. I am not even sure if they know that Saab is made in Sweden.

Of course I am exaggerating just a little
    I have yet to come across a French woman Saab owner .. then I could maybe do some more research ...

I'll pass this on to Golfhunter who was sometimes on SC and helps admin Etienne's Morsa's French Belgian blog http://saab.skynetblogs.be/ .
    Jeff, Golfhunter, is an expert on the older Saabs, he went to to England with me once and was recently at the Trollhattan meeting. If he has the time he would be a great asset and we could handle this together.

Cheers.
    david.
    Last edited by DavidMorgan; 03 August 2010 at 06:45.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Great thinking David! While SW is not going to replace any country forum, it would be nice for everyone to have a central meeting place here at SW for making contact and see what is going on all over the world.

Masterfully Slow Learner SPGreg's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    Three SPGs

Thumbs up

Aren't there a couple of Saab clubs in Montreal? Don't know if they're English or French. SaabKen, do you know much about the Montreal groups?

I agree, if it's called SaabWorld, it should be fairly cosmopolitan. Additional languages is a neat idea. But how would that work? Via a completely separate site of the same name in other languages? "SaabMonde"? Or can a single site operate multi-lingually (if that's a word)?

Either way, I guess it's a matter of administrative breadth and depth.

EDIT: SaabScott, do you have any intel about the Montreal groups or the potential need for a French board on here?
    Last edited by SPGreg; 03 August 2010 at 18:24.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SPGreg View Post
    I agree, if it's called SaabWorld, it should be fairly cosmopolitan. Additional languages is a neat idea. But how would that work? Via a completely separate site of the same name in other languages? "SaabMonde"? Or can a single site operate multi-lingually (if that's a word)?
    It would be a special section on SaabWorld as in Country or Language boards. Each domain name requires its own vBulletin license and maintaining separate domains/sites would be a huge task.

Saab(s)
    '03 9-3 SS Vector
    The way I understood it would work is by having a "Correspondent" or two for a specific foreign language.
    This "correspondent" could import news in original language and English translation from the foreign forums.
    It would also mean posting interesting SaabWorld articles in the foreign forums .. but of course with mention of the that fact it came from SaabWorld.

N
    Last edited by DavidMorgan; 03 August 2010 at 19:20.

Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    Quote Originally Posted by SPGreg View Post
    Aren't there a couple of Saab clubs in Montreal? Don't know if they're English or French.

EDIT: SaabScott, do you have any intel about the Montreal groups or the potential need for a French board on here?
    I know of a couple of informal groups in the Ottawa and Montreal areas, but only that they exist.
    Of course, The Saab Club of Canada would be quite happy to have you as a new member and of course, we would be interested in speaking with you about starting a chapter of SCC out your way.
    However, at this time (to my knowledge), there are no full fledged clubs in Quebec.
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca