Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Paul K.
    Saab(s)
    1990 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible

hemorrhaging brake fluid

My 1990 900 Turbo Convertible is now laid up because I've got a severe leak either somewhere in the brake fluid reservoir or at a link between the reservoir and the master cylinder. I say this because I add the DOT 4 and it drains out of the reservoir far too rapidly to be somewhere deeper in the system (like at a caliper or something) and the leak puddles are pretty much right below the reservoir and master cylinder area.

How does one go about taking the reservoir off the top of the master cylinder? The Bentley Manual is sorely lacking in photo details and instructions on this particular issue.

I have a feeling it's a rubber connector (near the firewall end of the assembly) between the reservoir and the master cylinder, but I really need to remove the reservoir to figure this thing out.

Any tips, or do I have to remove the whole thing to separate the two?

Thanks.

Saab(s)
    '11 9-4X, '07 9-5 Combi, '99 Viggen, '88 900t, '87 ASFT, '85 SPG, '72 96
    Commonly it is the hose that goes frm the bottom of the brake master to the Clutch Master.

Paul K.
    Saab(s)
    It's an automatic. The "little flange hose mount" is sealed off.

I should probably take some photos.

Paul K.
    Saab(s)
    In the first photo, the nipple for the attachment of the clutch master is sealed off - this i an automatic.

In the second photo, this O-Ring type of thing seems to be where the brake fluid is leaking from.

If the hose at the bottom of the section of reservoir shown in #3 and #4 is leaking, that would make sense too, but where does this hose go?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    Ooh, looks like you just need a new seal there. Or maybe it's just misaligned. I don't recall where that hose in pictures 3 and 4 goes--is it a brake line? I will look at my girlfriend's ABS system to see when I check her transmission fluid tonight.

I believe you just pull, and it pops off. But be careful, they crack somewhat easily and are hard to come by. Sometimes they get leaks because they've been bumped or jarred in some way. I don't recall what kind of seals they take, though.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    That's the connection to the brake master-cylinder. Either the rubber seal has failed or the reservoir is cracked. In either instance the reservoir has to come off to diagnose the problem. From there the remedy will be obvious.

Paul K.
    Saab(s)
    Is there a "best way" to get the reservoir off? I don't want to have to re-invent the wheel. I don't want to just yank on it if there's some sort of fixed connector or fastener that needs to be removed for it to lift off; the last thing I want to do is break it "more" or find that I now REALLY need a new reservoir (whereas before, maybe the one I have could have been easily repaired). In the Bentley Manual, the older stuff seems to have "pins" between the reservoir and the master cylinder.

Edward G
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    T5.5 84 900T8
    you just gently rock the reservoir back and forth to remove from master cylinder.

Early style masters have dowels holding the reservoir on, you do not

go to ebay and search for saab 900 master cylinder rebuild kit, you are looking for post 86 rebuild kit, about $25 bucks or something.

Reservoir could be cracked, a new master will cost around $150 or something from RockAuto Parts Catalog

Paul K.
    Saab(s)
    Went with the easiest solution first, and seems to be working - got the reservoir grommets from CarQuest and we installed them. $6.00. Also installed the new wires, cap, and rotor. Feel like we got a lot done today on the car. She seems to be much happier.