Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    2011 Saab 9-5 Turbo4 Premium, 6 spd manual

2011 9-5 Turbo 4 Premium: Stereo Problem?

Hey all,

Was hoping someone might suggest some things to try about this issue.

My car has been working great since I bought it, but today at lunchtime the stereo started acting up.

When the car starts up, the stereo starts on the same radio station I left it, but only plays for a couple of seconds and then freezes.

Once it freezes it becomes quiet, and no button input (change source, power, etc.) has any impact on it, except the volume button. The volume button still raises and lowers the volume indicator on the screen, but otherwise has no impact.

Upon shutting off the car, and starting it back up again, the process repeats. I get audio for a second or two, and then it freezes.

I thought maybe cycling the power would help, so I disconnected the battery for a half an hour and reconnected it again. I had to go through an amusing little ritual of opening and closing each window after this guided by the info screen, but when complete, the stereo still behaved the same way.

Today was a particularly unpleasant day with heavy wet snow. I wonder if humidity somehow got in where it doesn't belong and is causing some sort of short?

Any ideas regarding this problem would be greatly appreciated. I miss listening to the news during my drives to and from work. It's very quiet and boring

Thanks,
    Matt

Saab(s)
    2011 Saab 9-5 Turbo4 Premium, 6 spd manual
    I guess we can file this one under "intermittent".
    As quickly as it appeared, the problem randomly disappeared.
    I've had a few other electrical issues in this car (which is to be expected in early year models of a new design). The sun roof occasionally freezes in place and won't close fully.
    I wonder if they are related in any way.
    Anyway, for now all is good!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I had a few entertainment issues with my 9-4X where it would loose iPod connectivity randomly. Difficult to troubleshoot so I just lived with it and blamed it on electrical gremlins.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero wagon
    Sounds like software issues. Vw has a crap load of them, always an update on something.LOL I would check with the dealer and see if GM has had an radio update for those issues.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero wagon
    found this

Title:Software Update Process for Navigation Radios 2010-11 9-5 and 2011 9-4x

Date: 01/21/2013
    To: All Parts and Service Managers and Service Technicians

Owners of may complain of Intermittent Navigation Radio Clock/Audio Concerns, Blank DVD Display and Various Additional Navigation Radio Concerns

The Navigation radio software has been revised to address the above conditions. You will update the radio using SPS from a VCI file from GME. The message below outlines the process to get updated software to address these concerns.

Saab(s)
    '91 9kT, '10 9-5 Aero
    They tried this today on the 2010 and failed, apparently it needs a new unit which is currently unavailable. Although they are apparently working on a fix? The issue i've been having is that the clock doesn't save the time, and it always starts on the same radio station regardless of what it was previous set at. Apparently a memory related issue, a chip that fails/degrades. Ive got my people working on it (lol). But seriously, my Salesperson who the car was purchased from is in contact with TAC and other people trying to find out info and keep me in the loop.

So yeah if you ever are in the market for a Saab and you want to work with someone who will work their ass off for you and find you're perfect car, contact Julie Gardner @ Kelly Saab in Lancaster, PA (free plug for all of her efforts). Shes been the only positive in this whole situation..... other than the fact that the 9-5 has otherwise been almost perfect, almost 50k miles put on it.

Saab(s)
    2011 9-5 9-4 X
    Does anyone know where I can buy a stock 2011 Saab 9-5 navigation radio?